Steve Bisese to take over as vice president for student development

Richmond College Dean Stephen D. Bisese will take over the position of vice president for student development beginning in July.

President William E. Cooper announced his decision yesterday evening in an e-mail to the campus community. Bisese's appointment came after several months of searching for a candidate to replace Leonard Goldberg, who will retire from the position at the end of the academic year.

"Steve received widespread support throughout the search process and is most deserving of this appointment," Cooper wrote in the e-mail. "Steve possesses great talent and energy to lead Richmond's student development efforts."

Richmond College Student Government Association President Braxton Bragg said that his senate members were eager to begin working with Bisese in his new position.

"He is the kind of guy who is going to be a legend in the position," Bragg said. "He is so insightful and involved in the lives of students. RCSGA is generally happy."

Jessica Searles, Westhampton College Government Association president, agrees. "We're excited and so happy for him," she said. "Everybody's very excited to have someone who knows the coordinate college system so well."

A search committee headed by Julie Tea, director of special projects in the president's office, comprised students, faculty, staff and alumni. The committee reviewed resumes submitted based on recommendations from search firm A.T. Kearney, Tea said.

The committee initially chose 12 candidates who were interviewed in November. They then narrowed it down to four finalists, she said.

For the past week, the finalists have been on campus meeting with student development staff, academic deans and Cooper, Tea said. They have also participated in individual "Meet the Candidate" sessions, which students were invited to attend and ask questions.

Although students were given the opportunity to send questions, comments and concerns to Tea, Cooper ultimately made the decision, she said.

The other candidates were Lori S. White, vice president for student affairs at the University of Southern California; Penny Rue, dean of students at the University of Virginia; and Miriam Feldblum, senior director for academic support and planning at California Institute of Technology.

Collegian staff members attempted to contact a number of administrators, including Cooper, Bisese, Goldberg and Tea after the e-mail was sent last night, but none were available for comment.