Drop the pig thing...

Come on McCain! With so many better things to attack Obama on, you choose his comment about lipstick on a pig? Drop the puerile political games. You're trying a little too hard, and nobody's buying your tomfoolery.

In her acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said "the only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? -- Lipstick." It was a funny line that got the crowd fired up, but really nothing more. Well yesterday, Obama said, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," referring to one of John McCain's policies. No sooner did that happen then the McCain campaign rushed out with a web ad (found at this link) alleging that Obama's statement was referencing Sarah Palin:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Home2.htm

It's pathetic. How many times have we heard that line used in politics? Obama used it with Hillary. Hillary used it with McCain. McCain used it with Obama. It's old, tired rhetoric, and the McCain campaign is seriously reaching for controversy with this attack on Obama's "smears." The truth is, there are SO many other things that McCain could attack Obama on, like actual smears against Palin. This is petty politics at its worst.

Palin is extremely well liked, with most polls indicating that she is the most popular major politician in the country. The McCain campaign has greatly benefited from her presence on the ticket. There's no reason to exploit her popularity with such asinine tactics. I like Sarah Palin, but this is only going to make the ticket look ridiculous. Those independent voters that are swinging McCain's way now aren't going to appreciate the stupidity they displayed this morning.