Boutique of the Week: Eurotrash

3009 W. Cary St.

Richmond, VA 23221

Eurotrash sells clothing and accessories that are not only European-designed and influenced, but also eco-friendly. The boutique celebrated its one-year anniversary in September.

One line of clothing, Covet, is made from natural fibers such as bamboo and organic cotton yarn, said Kathleen Hefty, a salesperson at Eurotrash. Everything is very comfortable and soft. Bamboo fabric is softer and more breathable than cotton. Its texture is similar to silk and it is naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic. Bamboo is ecologically friendly because the plant grows rapidly and doesn't require fertilizers or pesticides. Bamboo also requires minimal water and releases even more oxygen into the environment than trees do.

You also can be environmentally and budget-friendly by bringing in your re-useable Eurotrash bag on Mondays to receive 10 percent off your purchases (if you don't have the bag, they'll give you one).

Most of the lines, like Ted Baker, which is well-known abroad, are from London, Hefty said. The boutique also carries a line by Jordi Labanda, who lives in Barcelona and used to design for Louis Vuitton. The owner was born in Williamsburg, Va., but spent most of her life living in London and Prague, and has traveled a lot.

Eurotrash also has lines for the more budget-conscious, and it is common to see a $40 dress next to a dress for $250.

Soon, the boutique will be getting in denim and will be adding more lines, Hefty said. Eurotrash also has an assortment of great bags and Ted Baker's sunglass line.

Contact staff writer Alexandra Varipapa at alexandra.varipapa@richmond.edu