Have you heard?

Junior Jen Forde has been exposed to the different usical stylings in Spain during her semester studying in San Sebastian.

Forde has attended numerous concerts of traditional Spanish genres such as Basque and Flamenco. Basque is typical of the region in which Forde currently lives and Flamenco is more a tradition of southern Spain.

"The Basque concerts I have been to use guitars and brass instruments, and have kind of a big band sound," Forde said.

There is less Flamenco in San Sebastian, but Forde did have the chance to listen to this traditional music in concert and said it was mainly instrumental and enjoyable.

She has also attended a concert performed by the Cuban hip-hop group "Orishas."

Although Forde said she did not always understand the Spanish lyrics, she was able to follow along with the familiar tune of Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" when the Spanish-language version played in the grocery store recently.

"A lot of the music is instrumental, though," she said, "and it's a little difficult to understand all the words."

American pop music is everywhere and Rihanna's music is pretty dominant all over the city, Forde said.

"All the European students have American music on their iPods" she said. "I have not been to a bar that hasn't played mostly American music all night."

Clubs and bars play techno while the restaurants play more rock and alternative, with artists such as U2 and Maroon 5, but hip-hop has not been as popular here as it is at home, she said.

Whether she is in San Sebastian or traveling in another part of Spain or Europe, Forde said she encountered all types of music in addition to those genres typical of the San Sebastian region.