Kaine says green job creation will save Virginia's economy

Green job creation is the solution to the future of state employment, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said during his annual State of the Commonwealth Address Jan. 14, warning the country was weathering its largest economic crisis since World War II.

"Part of climbing out of a challenged economy is focusing our efforts on the industries of the future," he said. "The development and deployment of new energy sources presents dramatic new opportunities for the Commonwealth."

His newly launched energy plan, formally called Renew Virginia, would promote efforts including renewable energy and conservation to protect the Commonwealth's environment during 2009. He also planned to make Virginia an attractive place to relocate existing green companies, he said.

Kaine assured the Joint Assembly that Virginia's future was strong, despite its $3 billion budget deficit. And although he proposed a small cut to higher education, he said he wanted to pledge an additional $26 million in financial aid.

"Instead of across-the-board cuts," he said. "I've proposed targeted, performance-based cuts." His team had closely looked at each agency, he said, prioritizing services and evaluating which could be cut with the least impact.

"I thought it was honest, frank and hopeful," said State Sen. Donald A. McEachin, D-9th District, about the address.

The governor called on Virginians to show resiliency, work ethic and a desire to help one another to propel the state out of difficult times.

"While government action is necessary, it will be the entrepreneurial spirit of our people that will turn this economy around," he said. "Those who dare to take risks will create the new companies and the new jobs. Workers with dedication to hard work will continue to make our companies the best in the world."

Kaine also discussed education, the largest expenditure in the state budget, saying that as a father of three children in public schools, he thought it was important to stress the relationship between students and their teachers and principals.

His proposal would reduce funding for school administrative and support personnel by applying a funding cap to those positions.

On health care, the state's second-largest expenditure, Kaine proposed a targeted 30-cent tax increase on cigarettes, a move he said would help cover health costs and keep the state from denying services to elderly and disabled people.

The current tax covers less than half the $400 million in Medicaid that smoking creates, Kaine said, and the increase would bring Virginia's tobacco tax up to about half the national average.

Kaine's proposed an energy plan that would harness the technological discoveries made at Virginia colleges and universities and would turn them into new companies and jobs in the rest of the state, he said.

Projects already taking place in the Commonwealth include the development of transportation fuel cells at Virginia Tech, energy-efficient buildings at the University of Virginia, algae-based biodiesel at Old Dominion University and new energy crops at Virginia State University.

"Stay in school," said State Sen. Ralph K. Smith, R-22nd District, when asked what college students should do in the turbulent economic climate. "Prepare for the job world. If you work hard there is always a position for you."

Smith, who has sponsored legislation requiring stricter penalties for littering, said he was glad Kaine emphasized the importance of caring for the environment in his address.

To help employ Virginians, the governor proposed setting a minimum goal of 30 state capital projects that would be worth at least $250 million in construction costs. That financial goal would equal about six projects a month between Feb. 1 and June 30 of this year.

Amid the turmoil over the state budget, Kaine will serve as chairman of the Democratic National Committee, a decision President-elect Barack Obama announced Jan. 8, effective later this month. Kaine's term as governor ends in 2010.

"It's great for Virginia," said McEachin about Kaine's appointment. "He's got the president on speed dial."

Contact staff writer Kimberly Leonard at kimberly.leonard@richmond.edu