This Cafe Rocks

Richmond '09

The name of Max's Positive Vibe Cafe is more than just clever nomenclature (sorry, I live in Gottwald). It's an accurate representation of the restaurant itself. I've actually considered suggesting to Garth (the owner) a few other names such as "This Place is Awesome, so Come Here" and "Starbucks Runs People Out of Business, but We Train People with Disabilities that Don't Otherwise Receive Help from Other Businesses." Although both of my suggestions would stick with the theme of accuracy, I'm pretty sure Garth is happy with the original.

Max's Positive Vibe Cafe (which I will now refer to as MPVC) is a restaurant and cafe located on Forest Hill Avenue. I know it's hard to branch out of the West End, Carytown and the Fan, but MPVC sits only eight minutes from campus. Crossing the river may seem like a daunting task, but there is a bridge. It's called Huguenot Bridge. You can even drive over it; believe it or not, you don't have to swim or caulk the wagon and float (Oregon Trail, anyone?).

Why should you come to MPVC? My first answer should in and of itself be the sole reason for your business. This cafe is a non-profit organization that trains people with disabilities. As a brother of an epileptic, autistic 13-year-old with learning disabilities, this place is nothing short of a heart warmer, a tear-jerker and a sign of hope. People with disabilities all too often can't find jobs and furthermore are treated poorly by people around them. Unfortunately, people usually don't think about the challenges that people with disabilities face because the cards that they were unfortunately (depending on who you're talking to) dealt. Garth and his son Max, however, realize this because of the challenges that they have faced.

Garth's son Max has muscular dystrophy. I've yet to meet Max, as he works the night shift, but Max had trouble finding a job. The frustration led to Garth and Max starting this business four years ago. It's grown, and it's awesome. MPVC offers jobs to people with disabilities as hosts, hostesses, bussers, dishwashers and cooks; these are opportunities that are nearly impossible for people with disabilities to find.

If you really need any other reasons to come here (which I honestly don't think you do), the menu is great. Fratdogs, don't worry, they have beeyers (beer), mixed drinks and wine. Hippies, your problems are solved with vegetarian and vegan options. If you're like me and you check the price before you check what the actual food is, put your fears aside, you can get dinner for 10 bucks. I'm currently finishing my Italian sandwich which is delicious and comes with a side of sweet potato chips (so good when they hit your lips). They also have a huge variety of soups, salads, burgers (including bison) and seafood. They got it all!

MPVC has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and on NBC and CBS for what it's been doing. Garth and Max just got back from France where they spoke in front of 25 countries in attendance at the Forum du Handicap (which with my superb French skills I can translate to the [Handicap Forum]). These guys are legit.

MPVC also has nights that have live music and feature different special nights throughout the month, including, but not limited to, Tummy Tuesday (Belly dancing every last Tuesday of the month) and Chef Nights, where chefs from different restaurants in Richmond volunteer their time to take over the kitchen for the night.

It's nearly impossible not to be in a good mood and feel the "positive vibe" while at MPVC. It's contagious. When you enter, you're greeted with a smile and you know that the cause that this business supports is far better than those of most other restaurants. So next time, instead of going to Starbucks or Panera, choose MPVC. Or, you can just let your conscience make the decision for you. This is a great way to have an awesome experience and show your support for people that really need it.