Raccoon captured in front of the library

A raccoon was captured by University of Richmond Police officers Friday afternoon after it attempted to enter Boatwright Memorial Library and showed signs of being rabid.

The raccoon attempted to enter the library as people were walking in and out of the doors and eventually hid in the bushes to the right of the library. The raccoon was out in the daytime and did not appear to be afraid of people, which are signs of rabies.

University police officers were called and used equipment to capture the raccoon. They asked people to remain inside the library while they removed the raccoon.

Officers then called the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to determine if the raccoon was sick. Officials at the department said the raccoon was young and most likely not sick so the raccoon was released somewhere off campus, University Police Captain Beth Simonds said.

A fox that was considered rabid was spotted by a neighbor near the Robins School of Business on August 28, 2009. A university-wide e-mail was sent warning people of the possible danger. No reports of seeing the fox again were released.

Contact staff writer Stephanie Rice at stephanie.rice@richmond.edu