Letter: Common Ground

The office of Common Ground has been following discussions taking place in The Collegian and elsewhere about racism and the varied campus-life experiences of students. And we have been disturbed by recent headlines about the Virginia Attorney General questioning the place of sexual orientation in anti-discrimination statements of public colleges and universities.

Given our university's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and Common Ground's mission to support that commitment by fostering community across lines of difference, these recent events warrant some community reflection about what it means for us to live out the values of diversity and inclusion.

To paraphrase the Richmond Promise, the university's strength, both intellectually and socially, is tied directly to our ability to address significant challenges related to a wide range of differences.

More specifically, as members of the University of Richmond community, we should expect from one another a commitment to meet such challenges through an honest exchange of ideas and the highest standards of civility and mutual respect.

The university is not an island unaffected by the broader world. And so it is no surprise that broader social problems, such as racism and prejudice based on sexual orientation, are part of the reality that many people on our campus have to navigate on a regular basis.

Acknowledging those realities - as opposed to denying and diminishing them - is crucial for creating a safe environment. In our actual conversations we will all confront opinions and experiences that differ from our own, and it is in those moments most of all that we need to find ways to convey respect to one another as we strive to understand.

We are encouraged by the many examples in the current discussion of students, staff and faculty who have chosen to participate in constructive and respectful ways. And we believe very strongly that it is that sort of dialogue that leads to meaningful understanding across differences, and that is essential for building an inclusive community.

During the past few weeks, we have consulted many members of the campus community and offered our help to stimulate further discussion in the spirit of the Richmond Promise. Through this message, we hope to encourage continued dialogue and to extend our offer of assistance in that process to all members of the campus community.

Toward these ends we also welcome your thoughts, suggestions and, most of all, your participation. Our office is located on the third floor of the Tyler Haynes Commons.

Glyn Hughes, Director of Common Ground

Lisa Miles, Assistant Director of Common Ground