Letter: Fond memories of Chief Dillard

I read with great interest your recent story on the retirement of University of Richmond Police Chief Robert C. Dillard. I have known Chief Dillard both as a student and as an alumni leader. There is no finer Spider than Bob Dillard. He will be greatly missed when he retires this year.

I first met Chief Dillard in 1976 when I served the Student Union (now Campus Activities Board) as concert and dance chairman, a post I held for three years.

This was a time when it was legal to consume beer at the age of 18. Chief Dillard worked with all student groups and saw that everyone had a good time, but at the same time he taught us as students to have respect for the laws, respect for ourselves and respect for our fellow students.

In 1978, we had what had to be one of the largest parties in UR history. In those days, we student groups were not allowed to carry over funds from one year to the next. Faced with a significant amount of funds left at the end of the year, we as a Student Union did what any responsible college group would do ... we threw one hell of a party!

We had non-stop entertainment in the Greek Theatre from noon until 11 pm. We set an all-time campus record of serving 200-plus kegs of beer at one event. From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. we closed the concert with a metal band from Roanoke named the Royal Kings.

It seems like just yesterday when Chief Dillard came over to me and said: "Jeff, can we turn the volume down just a little? We are getting noise complaints from across the Huguenot Bridge!"

After graduation, I stayed in touch with Chief Dillard, seeing him at football and basketball games. I later had the opportunity to work with Chief Dillard as I served on the URAA board and eventually when I served as president of the URAA.

Chief Dillard and his entire staff of officers always go out of their way to provide excellent security and safety for UR students, staff, alumni and guests at all University functions.

I know Chief Dillard is not only well respected by the Richmond area law enforcement community, but is highly respected and has been honored by both the Virginia Association of Campus Law Enforcement and the Virginia Police Chiefs Foundation.

Chief Dillard, in retirement, I hope you come back to campus often. I look forward to seeing you while tailgating outside the new football stadium. Come by and join in a pre-game beverage, which I will be consuming (as you taught me) in a secondary container.

Jeffrey P. Marks

RC 1979

President URAA 2006-2007