Students elect Gordon, Miller presidents for 2011-12

Students elected junior Will Gordon as Richmond College Student Government Association president and junior Allie Miller as Westhampton College Government Association president on Tuesday.

Gordon, who defeated junior Jackson Knox 270-156, had previously served one year as vice president of administration. He is an environmental studies major from Richmond, Va., and is also a head resident and member of the Richmond Rowdies.

Approximately 30 percent of eligible Richmond College undergraduate students cast votes, which represents an increase of about 10 percent from last year's presidential contest between Suren Daryanani and Jason Viglianti.

Gordon said that his primary initiatives would be to advocate for students during the planning phase of the university's Master Plan, create greater flexibility for student Dining Dollars and to work with student organizations to forge greater school spirit and new traditions.

"I see the position of president as the perfect platform for me to give back to Richmond College and the University of Richmond as a whole," Gordon said. "This is a place that I have come to love and I hope that I can help contribute to its continued success and excellence."

Daryanani, whom Gordon is replacing, said: "I was lucky to have had the opportunity to serve on the RCSGA with a group of distinguished men who all share the desire to enforce change on our campus.

"I have great confidence in Will Gordon's ability to effectively serve as the next RCSGA President. I believe he brings valuable experience and has shown a strong desire to serve in this role. I feel that under his leadership, the RCSGA will continue to make a difference for Richmond College, and the University of Richmond as a whole."

Miller, who ran unopposed, replaces senior Ali Amaral. Miller is a leadership studies and economics double major from Bristol, Conn. She is a member of Delta Gamma, works in Student Activities and was a transfer orientation adviser.

During her time as WCGA president, Miller said she planned to address housing accommodations, especially for students coming back from abroad, strengthen the bonds of the university community through collegiate athletics and maintain Westhampton College traditions.

"Ali Amaral did a fantastic job this year and I am hoping to gracefully grab the baton from her and carry on her efforts with her contagious enthusiasm and determination," Miller said. She also pledged to collaborate with RCSGA.

Amaral said that Westhampton College would flourish under Miller's leadership.

"I was very fortunate to serve on the body with a group of incredible women who truly did their best, and succeeded in serving their constituents," Amaral said.

Westhampton College students also elected Kate Fleischer as chair of the senate, Jackie Stockinger as class of 2012 president, Erin Lane as class of 2013 president and Mimi Mudd as class of 2014 president.

Contact The Collegian's editor at collegianstories@gmail.com