Dress Up. Dress down. It's football.

Richmond's first home football game of the season is Saturday. What do you plan on wearing? Will you dress up in pearls and a sundress or pinstripe shorts and Ray-bans?

Or will you show your school spirit in a red and blue ensemble with a temporary spider tattoo emblazoned on your cheek?

If you're like me, and grew up in the South, you'll probably wear something nicer to Saturday's football game than you've worn all school year. Or maybe you refuse to wear anything other than a t-shirt, jeans and a little face paint?

If you've never been to a Richmond football game, and have preconceived notions about the attire now that you're going to school in the former Confederate capital, I can assure you that there is no dress code.

The first Division I football game I attended was at the University of Mississippi. I was in awe walking through the legendary tailgating spot, "The Grove" as girls in high heels traipsed about on the arms of their bowtie-clad dates.

Erin Goupill, a sophomore from Ypsilanti, Mich., attended many University of Michigan games before coming to Richmond. She said the majority of people in the stadium wore Michigan colors -- maize and blue -- and something with Michigan's logo on it.

Goupill said she had worn dresses to Richmond's opener and homecoming last year because it was a tradition, but every other game she had worn Richmond gear.

"Also, if I wear a dress, I make sure it's Richmond colors," she said.

It's no SEC or Big 10 game, but I look forward to the home opener Saturday and seeing everyone's outfits.

It doesn't matter if you dress the part of a southern belle (from New Jersey) in your grandmother's pearls or hang red and blue Mardi Gras beads around your neck. My advice? Look sharp. You'll match the team on the field.