In-Game Blog: Richmond vs. Wagner

4th Quarter, 1:31- Spiders go for it again on 4th down, this time needing to pick up 5 yards, but are unsuccessful this time around, turning the ball over to the Wagner offense.

4th Quarter, 3:35- Spiders go for it on 4th and 1 near the Wagner redzone and Gaskins bursts through a hole down the middle to pick up the first down.

4th Quarter, 6:39- Surprisingly, Richmond continuing to throw the ball. A first down throw from Corp to Finney has the ball out past midfield.

4th Quarter, 7:25- A shared sack by Spider defensive linemen Evan Kelly and Brandon Scott forces a Wagner punt and, as a result of a late hit penalty on the punt return, Richmond begins their drive on their own 36.

Final- Wagner's final pass falls to the ground in the endzone and Richmond officially wins its home opener, 21-6, to start the season 2-0.

4th Quarter, 9:57- Richmond punter Nick Hicks comes onto the field for the first time, as the Spiders had avoided punting up to this point in the game.

4th Quarter, 13:04- Richmond extends its lead to 21-6 on the 1-yard TD plunge by Gaskins and the PAT by Kamin.

4th Quarter, 14:52- Spiders start the final quarter with a deep, falling-down catch by Gray off the the throw from Corp to give Richmond a 1st down on the 13.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- The third quarter comes to a close with Richmond again threatening on Wagner's side of the field. If they are able to finish this drive off with 7 points, look for a lot of running plays by the Spiders in the fourth to burn the clock.

3rd Quarter, 2:32- Cooper Taylor has to be helped off the field after appearing to sustain an injury blocking on the kick return. That could be a huge loss for Richmond if it's serious.

3rd Quarter, 2:40- Wagner closes the gap on Richmond with a 45-yard field goal by kicker David Lopez that just barely cleared the post. Spiders lead now stands at 14-6.

3rd Quarter, 6:39- Richmond capitalizes on the opportunity this time around, as Corp goes to the air again, this time to tight end Kevin Finney for a 6-yard TD, to give the Spiders the 14-3 advantage.

3rd Quarter, 7:52- Big pass and catch from Corp to Stephen Barnette gives the Spiders a first and goal from the 7 yard line. Barnette was wide open over the middle.

3rd Quarter, 9:13- Gaskins is starting to get going. After a pair of first down runs, Richmond is now on Wagner's side of the field.

3rd Quarter, 11:39- Sophomore Kerry Wynn sacks Wagner's QB Doscher on 3rd down to force a punt. The Spiders begin their first drive of the half on their own 28.

3rd Quarter, 14:53- The second half is underway with the Seahawks set to begin their drive at their own 28.

Halftime- A few first half observations for the Spiders: 229 yards on offense is good, but 5 turnovers is keeping this game way too close. The defense is doing its job holding the Seahawks' offense, but Corp and the rest of the Spider offense need to stay on the field in the second half longer to give them a break, as Wagner RB Williams looked to be wearing out the Spiders towards the end of the half. Look for the Spiders to come out fired up to start the third quarter, and if they can avoid turnovers, this game should be out of Wagner's reach by the fourth.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- The first half comes to a close on a Spider kneel down. Richmond takes a 7-3 lead into the lockerroom, but they've got to be disappointed the lead is not larger. More first half thoughts to come soon.

2nd Quarter, 1:35- Someone appears to have put butter on Richmond's football, as they fumble the ball away again. Gray loses this one after a 13-yard reception down near Wagner's redzone.

2nd Quarter, 2:34- Amazing catch by Gray for a first down across midfield. He fell down on his route, but was able get his hands up off the ground just as the ball arrived to make the reception.

2nd Quarter, 3:24- Richmond avoids their 5th turnover, as Gray's lost fumble is canceled out thanks to a roughing the passer penalty on the defense.

2nd Quarter, 4:54- Richmond's turnover problems in this game continue, as Turner loses a fumble near midfield. That makes 4 turnovers in the half for the Spiders. However, Richmond's defense repays the favor, and safety Colin Pehanick intercepts Wagner's pass on the next play.

2nd Quarter, 5:52- Gray with an impressive return off the kickoff for 34 yards. Richmond will start their drive from their own 34 as a result.

2nd Quarter, 6:01- Richmond able to stiffen up on defense near the redzone and forces Wagner to attempt a 38-yard field goal. The FG is good and Richmond's lead decreases, 7-3.

2nd Quarter, 10:00- Wagner earns their first first down on a short run across midfield and they don't waste much time getting their second, with a 12-yard pass on the next play.

2nd Quarter, 11:53- Corp heaves a ball deep intended for Tre Gray and is intercepted for the second time today. Wagner's safety returns the ball to the 40-yard line.

2nd Quarter, 14:49- The second quarter will begin with a Richmond drive starting at their own 43 after the Wagner punt.

1st Quarter, 0:00- A 78-yard screen pass that would've been a touchdown for Wagner is nullified by a block-in-the-back penalty. As a result, the Seahawks are left with a 3rd and 9 and fail to convert for their third straight 3 and out to start the game. The first quarter is now finished, with Wagner likely to punt to begin the second.

1st Quarter, 1:19- After earning a 1st and goal from the 5-yard line, Corp forces a pass over the middle on 3rd down intended for tight end Kevin Finney and is intercepted by Wagner's Mike Lambardo. The Seahhawks begin their drive on their own 20 after the touchback.

1st Quarter, 4:17- A few good-looking runs by Richmond's Garrett Turner has the Spiders threatening, down in Wagner's redzone for the first time in the game.

1st Quarter, 6:04- Richmond student section looks to be sending a message to the school personnel, who decided to reduce student seating this season after continually failing to fill up the stands last season. The stands for this one look more than full. We'll see if this support carries on for the rest of the game, and season.

1st Quarter, 8:17- On 3rd and 2, Richmond's defense comes up with a big sack to force their second straight 3 and out. Gray loses yards on the punt return, and Richmond begins its drive on their 13.

1st Quarter, 10:01- After a quick first down, Corp gets sacked and loses the ball on the hit. Wagner recovers the fumble on their own 48-yard line.

1st Quarter, 12:42- Spiders keep the momentum on defense, forcing a 3 and out, getting a lot of pressure on the Seahawks' QB. After a fair catch on the ensuing punt, the Spiders begin their second drive on their own 40.

1st Quarter, 13:31- The Seahawks will now get their first drive, starting on their own 22.

1st Quarter, 13:37- Sophomore Ben Edwards catches a deep pass on the third play of the drive and runs it in the rest of the way for a 56-yard TD thrown by Aaron Corp. Kicker Will Kamin is back after his one game suspension and makes the PAT. Spiders up 7-0 early.

1st Quarter, 14:54- The game is now underway. The Spiders took the opening kickoff back to their own 31-yard line and will begin their offensive drive.

Pregame- Coming off a big win over Duke last week, the Spiders need to avoid a letdown in this one which looks to be a very winnable game. A fast start is likely being stressed in the locker room by Coach Lineberg right now. One matchup fans should have their eyes on when the Spiders on defense is Dominique Williams (25) vs. Cooper Taylor (1). Williams, Wagner's starting RB, was named National Offensive Player of the Week thanks to his 180-yard, 2 TD performance vs. St. Francis (PA), while Taylor was named National Defensive Player of the Week for his 14 tackle (1 forced fumble) game against Duke.

Pregame- Welcome to the second live football blog of the 2011 season. Kickoff is just under 20 minutes away now for the first home game of the season for the Spiders and the first night game ever in Robins Stadium. The Spiders will be facing the Wagner Seahawks today. Some pregame thoughts and matchups to watch to come in a moment.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu