Top 11 of '11

With the start of 2012 only a few hours away, The Collegian took a look back at the top 11 stories of 2011. Here's how we ranked them:

1. President Obama visits campus. On Sept. 9, people waited in a single-file line that stretched from the Robins Center to the Heilman Dining Center for the chance to hear President Barack Obama talk about his American Jobs Act.

2. Men's Basketball NCAA tournament run. Following the Spiders' capture of the Atlantic 10 Conference title, they proceeded to defeat Vanderbilt and Morehead State to advance to their second Sweet 16 ever. Among the members of that team were Justin Harper, who now plays for the Orlando Magic and Kevin Anderson, whose Richmond jersey was just retired.

3. Campus police involved in shooting. While most students were getting ready for finals on Dec. 6, UR police shot at man as he tried to flee in a stolen car. Connor O'Leary, who is not affiliated with the school, got away from both campus police and Henrico Police but turned himself in that night.

4. Tim Kaine announces his intention to run for the U.S. Senate. Kaine, who was teaching leadership courses at the university, told one of his classes that he would run for the U.S. Senate in 2012. It was the first time that Kaine, the former governor of Virginia, had commented about his plans.

5. Latrell Scott resigns as football coach. With 10 days before the start of the 2011 football season, Scott resigned as coach following his second arrest for a DUI in a 5-10 year span. He would be sentenced to 10 days in jail when his case was heard in November. Offensive coordinator Wayne Lineburgh was named interim coach, and after getting off to a 3-0 start, the Spiders faltered and lost their last eight games.

6. Jepson selects controversial honoree for its leader-in-residence. Maj. Gen. Gina Farrisee was selected as Jepson's leader-in-residence because she complemented the theme of women who excel. But she was also involved in the Army's cover-up of the death of Pat Tillman, causing some to wonder why Jepson would chose her.

7. Construction starts on sorority cottages. The Board of Trustees approved funding in March for the construction of sorority cottages and a student center. The $5 million project is being built behind South Court and right next to the tennis courts.

8. Richmond junior acquitted of rape. Sebastien Fauchet, a member of Kappa Sigma and the university's tennis team, was found not guilty of rape Dec. 8, following an accusation in the spring of 2011. Fauchet's accuser said that she had been too drunk and tried to stop him, and Fauchet said that it was consensual.

9. Hurricane Irene. Students prepared for the late August storm by buying supplies at ETC. and other stores in the area. When the storm hit on the Saturday, it took down a number of trees on campus and cost the school more than $13,000.

10. Kathleen Skerrett named dean of the School of Arts and Science. Following the resignation of Andy Newcomb as the dean in January, Skerrett left her job at Grinnell College in Iowa to become the new dean.

11. Lodge policy is changed. In an effort to protect students' health and safety, the school announced in October that students must register by mid-week in order to attend fraternity lodge parties that weekend.

Other top stories from this year:

-Lee Carleton, assistant director of the Writing Center and faculty adviser for the Earth Lodge program, left the school following the spring semester, angering many students after the school terminated his program.

-Danny Rocco, the former coach at Liberty University, was named football coach in December, giving the Spiders their sixth coach in seven years.

-A magnitude-5.8 earthquake hit Richmond in late August, the biggest earthquake in Virginia since 1875.

-Three classes received iPads this past semester as the school examined whether the technology could help professors in the classroom.

-WebstUR, the school's new mascot, was unveiled in June following complaints about Spidey's -- the previous mascot -- design and name.