Wann named first-team All-American in soccer

Two-sport sophomore Becca Wann was named a first-team All-American by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America this past weekend.

Wann is one of just four sophomores on the 15-member team, which is composed of players from all over the country, and the only representative from the Atlantic-10 Conference.

She is just the second women's soccer player from Richmond to receive the honor, the other being Jaclyn Raveia in 2000. Two other previous Spiders have been named to the list as second- or third-team members. All three former honorees were seniors.

Wann ranked 13th nationally in goals scored with 15 and 17th in point with 36. Her most impressive statistic may be game-winning goals, as she finished with seven, the fourth most in the nation.

This honor adds to Wann's post-season mantle, as she had already been named the 2011 A-10 Offensive Player of the Year and an A-10 first-team member. Last season, she was named the A-10 Rookie of the Year.

She has little time to celebrate these awards, however, because she is currently playing basketball for the Spiders, most recently notching a season-high 10 points in a win over University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Other Notes: Wann's 2011 points and goals scored rank second all-time in Richmond's single-season record book... Adding the three she scored her freshman year, Wann's 10 career game-winning goals already puts her second all-time in Richmond history... She's averaging 4.3 points per game this season in basketball.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu