Spiders of the week: The newest football players

The following 14 men are the newest recruits to the University of Richmond football team. Each quote is from head coach Daniel "Danny" Rocco.

David Broadus\0x2028

QB Fr. 6'3", 212 lbs.

Suwanee, Ga.

Lambert High School

"David is a great fit for the university - outstanding student and family, multiple-sport athlete, real leader in his community and school. He's a talented quarterback - a guy who can really develop into an outstanding football player. We're excited about his commitment."

Reggie Diggs

WR Fr. 6'4", 185 lbs.

Dendron, Va.

Surry County High School

"Reggie is a guy we've had a lot of history with. He's from Surry County and came up for a camp here over the summer - a real dynamic athlete who already has a number of friends on the roster here [from high school]."

Thomas Evans\0x2028

OL Fr. 6'3", 280 lbs.

Franklin, N.C.

Franklin High School

"Thomas really comes from a football family. His granddad played in the NFL, and [his family] was looking for a school that offered a balance between great academics and athletics. [Thomas] wanted to leave his home area and get into an environment that would offer a little different path for his future. This will be a great place for him to expand his horizons."

Alex Gee\0x2028

OL 6'3", 275 lbs.

Burlington, N.C.

Walter M. Williams High School

"Alex also comes from a football family - his dad played for N.C. State - and he's another student with whom we had a background early. He committed early, but after the coaching change we really had to follow up with him. He's an outstanding student, citizen and leader in his community and at school - he should be a really good offensive lineman for us.

Jacobi Green

RB 5'9", 178 lbs.

Jacksonville, Fla.

Ed White High School

"Jacobi is a very dynamic athlete out of Jacksonville. He had a number of different options [for universities] and really wanted to choose the best academic option. His mother felt that this particular choice allowed him to have the best opportunities after graduation. We're excited about his commitment."

David Herlocker

WR 6'2", 195 lbs.

Charlotte, N.C.

Charlotte Catholic High School

"David is a talented two-way athlete - a wide receiver and a defensive back - who was choosing between Richmond and William and Mary. He narrowed his choices down to two really good academic and athletic programs and chose us."

Selton Hodge

LB 6'3", 215 lbs.

Washington D.C.

Friendship Collegiate Academy

"Selton has an awful lot of potential and talent. He's a very versatile athlete who could play a number of positions on defense. He came down here with his family early in the season to see a game and fell in love with the campus. We're excited to have him."

Omar Howard

LB 6'1", 196 lbs.

Midlothian, Va.

Midlothian High School

"Omar is a local product out of Midlothian - an accomplished three-sport athlete who has had numerous opportunities to get on campus and a real appreciation and value for what Richmond stood for, being in the local area."

David Jones

DB 6'3", 165 lbs.

St. Petersburg, Fla.

St. Petersburg High School

"David had a number of opportunities and offers [from other universities], but he and his family were intrigued by our academic reputation. They were very impressed with the quality of education offered here in addition to the commitment to the football program. David will have a very, very good career here at Richmond."

Kieno Jones II

DL 6'2", 290 lbs.

Atlanta, Ga.

Grady High School

"Kieno did a lot of research. He was one of those young people who got all his facts and figures together and knew everything there was to know about our university. He was very excited to come up here to be a part of everything, and we're happy to have him with us."

Xander Maddox

DB 5'1"0, 175 lbs.

Charlotte, N.C.

Providence High School

"Xander is a two-sport athlete: He's an outstanding baseball player as well. He chose Richmond over William and Mary.

T.J. Moon

RB 5'9", 210 lbs.

Stone Mountain, Ga.

Stephenson High School

"T.J. was heavily recruited throughout the process and was already committed to another university when [that university] had a coaching change. He decided to reevaluate his decision, and upon doing so, Richmond came on the radar. He's a big, physical running back."

Ayo Ogunniyi

DB 6'0", 190 lbs.

Silver Spring, Md.

Westlake High School

"Ayo is a big athlete. He's a guy that we were on for a long time - we got a head start on him during his junior year and were able to stay ahead of the competition throughout the whole process."

Nicholas Vergos

DL 6'4", 270 lbs.

Memphis, Tenn.

Memphis University High School

"Nicholas can play defensive as well as offensive line. His family was looking for a university that offered a good mix of athletics and academics. They were impressed with our 92 percent graduation rate"