Spiders hope spring game brings new beginning

The University of Richmond football team will play its annual spring game on April 14, when the team will put new strategies, brought on by a new coaching staff, into action. The game represents the end of winter training and the beginning of "a new era of Richmond football," junior fullback Kendall Gaskins said.

The spring game serves as a measuring stick for the team and coaching staffs, said head coach Danny Rocco, who is in his first year with Richmond football. The coaches are able to see the progress that the team has made in their winter conditioning, and the team's performance in the game often leads to a number of decisions about the coming season, Rocco said.

"The spring game is a great opportunity to see the new product," Rocco said. "The student-athletes have worked really hard; they have put an awful lot into this."

The spring game is constructed in a different format than a traditional game, Rocco said. Richmond's offense plays Richmond's defense, and points are awarded for various accomplishments during the game. For example, a first-down might earn one point, while a touchdown earns the traditional six points.

"It will look like a game, but won't be scored as a game," Rocco said.

Gaskins said he viewed the game as a new beginning and has been looking forward to getting back to the "powerhouse" that Richmond football used to be. He said he expected the team, especially the offense, to face challenges with grasping the offensive strategies that had been introduced by the new coaching staff.

Last year, the spring game was held on the same day as Pig Roast, and student attendance was low, Gaskins said. Both Rocco and Gaskins said they were hoping for a bigger crowd this year.

Besides the scoring structure, the spring game differs from a regular season game because it is not an extended afternoon. The entire game is expected to last an hour and a half, Rocco said.

Rocco will present a number of different awards to players who have been of great value to the team. Rocco said he hoped to maintain consistencies between the awards that had been given in the past by the former coaching staff and also introduce some of his own. The "Most Improved" award for both offense and defense will be presented at halftime.

Gaskins said he hoped students would come to the game to see the product of the team's hard work during its offseason.

"Your support is needed and wanted," Gaskins said. The game will be played at Robins Stadium at 1 p.m.

Contact reporter Molly Gentzel at molly.gentzel@richmond.edu