Alumnus Bobby Ukrop to be featured guest at B-School conversation

Bobby Ukrop, president and CEO of Richmond-based Ukrop's Homestyle Foods, will be the featured guest at a C-Suite Conversation hosted by the Robins School of Business on Sept. 20.

C-Suite Conversations offer interviews with senior executives in a relaxed environment with a question-and-answer format, instead of an ordinary lecture, said Richard Coughlin, senior associate dean of the Robins School of Business.

Ukrop, RC '69, has been working with Ukrop's Super Markets Inc. for 40 years. Ukrop earned his master's from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia in 1972.

Coughlan will conduct the interview, focusing on leadership and decisions involved in the challenges and opportunities of contributing to a successful organization, he said.

"Ukrop is the ideal guest for the university because the chain of grocery stores that he helped to grow and develop is very well-known," Coughlan said.

Since Ukrop sold the stores a few years ago, he has focused on building a new business, Ukrop's Homestyle Foods, a producer of chilled and prepared foods. This topic could be of special interest to the audience, Coughlan said.

"The interview format provides an opportunity for the subject to tell a rich story that reveals their personal side, as well as telling the story about their various business interests," said Nancy Bagranoff, dean of the Robins School of Business.

The discussion will also focus on how Ukrop's companies have demonstrated value-driven leadership and have the type of ethical organizational culture that is necessary for an effective organization, Bagranoff said.

Ukrop was also invited to speak about corporate community involvement, as he serves on several different boards and committees throughout Richmond.

"There are two main benefits for our students," Coughlan said. "First, they will learn more about the challenging decisions that CEOs have to make as they grow their businesses.

"Second, the continental breakfast beforehand provides an excellent opportunity to network with leaders from a variety of businesses across central Virginia," she said.

These events are intended for students from all majors, as well as Richmond alumni and members of the local business community, he said.

The conversation with Ukrop is the first in a five-part series that will continue in October and run through spring 2013, Coughlin said.

There will be a networking breakfast sponsored by the Robins School of Business at 7:30 a.m., and conversation will begin at 8:00 a.m. It is free and open to the public, but does require online registration.

Students can find information on how to register at: http://robins.richmond.edu/speaker-series/c-suite-conversations.html.

Contact reporter Lauren Shute at lauren.shute@richmond.edu