Spiders use 4 TD quarter to take down VMI, 47-6

LEXINGTON, Va. -- With four touchdowns in the third quarter, the Richmond Spiders turned a close game with a longtime rival into an opportunity to get the backups playing time.

"We really exploded," Richmond coach Danny Rocco said. "Being able to kind of get in sync in all three phrases, ... it's a really good sign for our football team."

By all three phases, Rocco was talking about the offensive, defensive and special teams units, which all contributed to the Spiders' third quarter explosion.

Ahead 16-6 to begin the quarter, Richmond was helped immediately by its defense when safety Cooper Taylor capitalized on an interception opportunity during VMI's first possession of the half.

Spiders quarterback John Laub quickly led the offense into the red zone, where Richmond had trouble in the first half, scoring just 9 points in four trips. This time, though, Laub was able to find tight end Kevin Finney for a four-yard touchdown.

Richmond's offense proved its success in the red zone wasn't a hoax during its next possession, scoring on a 14-yard run by Laub, who jumped over a VMI defender near the goal line.

"That was our goal going into the second half," Spiders receiver Ben Edwards said. "Sustaining drives and finishing drives."

Edwards finished with a career-high in receptions (11) and yards (122).

"As a wide receiver, you always want the ball," he said. "I was just really excited that they gave me the opportunity."

Richmond skipped over the red zone offense during its ensuing possession, scoring on the first play, a 50-yard run down the sideline by tailback Jovan Smith.

A little more than a minute later, Taylor took his second interception of the quarter back 35 yards to extend Richmond's lead to 44-6. The Spiders tacked on a field goal in the fourth quarter for the final score, 47-6.

"Those are the kind of efforts that you need to have as you get deeper into the season," Rocco said, "especially being able to do that on the road."

The win serves as Richmond's second straight, bringing its record to 2-1. None of the Spiders games this season have been in doubt entering the fourth quarter, with the backups getting significant playing time in all three.

"We need players with experience," Rocco said. "When you get into the depth of the season, ... someone gets hurt, and [a backup] has to go into the game, those guys are getting some valuable experience.

"On top of that, I really think that morale goes through the rook when everybody gets in the game. These guys are jacked up right now."

Next week, Richmond travels to Atlanta, Ga., to take on Georgia State University in the team's first CAA matchup. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

Game Notes: Sophomore Justin Grant took the opening kickoff back 90 yards for a Richmond touchdown... Laub finished with 213 passing yards, 47 rushing yards and two total touchdowns... Edwards was held out of practice during the week with a bone bruise in his right hand.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu