Live Blog: Richmond vs. Rhode Island

4th Quarter, 0:00- URI doesn't drag the game out, running down the clock. Final Score: UR- 39, URI- 0.

4th Quarter, 1:16- Richmond burns some clock with a few runs, but it forced to punt again. The ball is downed at the 9-yard line for what will likely be URI's final possession.

4th Quarter, 4:32- Richmond takes over following a turnover on downs. It looks like the Spiders may finish off this shutout, very hard to do in the CAA.

4th Quarter, 9:54- Hinshaw is brought on again, this time to attempt a 39-yard field goal. The kick is low but good, and it appears Hinshaw has re-established himself as Richmond's starting kicker this half. Richmond ahead now, 39-0.

4th Quarter, 13:10- Richmond forces the punt and will take over on its own 40 following a shanked punt that only travels about 10 yards total and rolls out of bounds.

4th Quarter, 15:00- Tired Richmond fans starting to pile out of the stadium. The student section is nearly empty as the final quarter begins.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- The third quarter comes to a close after a short run by the Rams. As I predicted, it was a big quarter for the Spiders, who scored 23 unanswered points in that 15-minute frame to put this game out of reach. Richmond enter the fourth quarter ahead big, 36-0.

3rd Quarter, 0:12- The Rams take over again off the kickoff on their own 35.

3rd Quarter, 0:18- After a false start backs them up, White throws short for receiver Dominique Miller. Hinshaw brought on for the short field goal attempt, and he knocks it through again for his third made kick this quarter, good news for Spider special teams. UR up 36-0 now.

3rd Quarter, 0:26- Rhody calls a timeout with the Spiders facing a 3rd and goal from two yards out.

3rd Quarter, 1:47- The lefty White rolls to his right and throws awkwardly but complete to Christian Parker for a first and goal at the 8-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 2:03- White not having trouble leading the Spider offense down the field, with a first down now at the URI 20-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 2:23- Strauss leaves the game having thrown for 174 yards and two touchdowns on 16-24 passing.

3rd Quarter, 3:25- Here come the backups, as Montel White is in at quarterback now for the Spiders.

3rd Quarter, 3:33- Fenyak just tried to run for a first down on 3rd and 6, but got nailed out of bounds 3 yards short. He looked pretty slow on that play. URI punts again, and Richmond takes over on its own 33.

3rd Quarter, 4:22- URI begins its next drive at its own 32.

3rd Quarter, 4:29- Strauss escapes pressure and finds Barnette open deep downfield to the 15 and, one play later, Gaskins breaks a few arm tackles for an easy 15-yard touchdown run. Again, Hinshaw hits the extra point to loud cheers from the student section. With Gaskins's second TD of the game and 12th this season, Richmond extends its lead, 33-0.

3rd Quarter, 5:03- Another end around run by Edwards down the Richmond sideline nets 30 yards to the URI 40-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 5:10- The Spider defense forces a three-and-out and Edwards calls for the fair catch off the URI punt at the UR 30.

3rd Quarter, 6:40- URI back up on offense after Fenyak's fourth interception. The Rams will begin at their own 31 again.

3rd Quarter, 6:47- On second down, Taylor hurries Fenyak into another bad throw. This one is intercepted by a leaping Justin Williamson behind the line of scrimmage, and he returns it for the touchdown. Kamin's extra points opportunity is passed to Hinshaw, and he makes the most of it, hitting it perfectly through the uprights. The made extra point gets a bigger cheer than the touchdown from Spider fans. UR's lead now stands at 26-0.

3rd Quarter, 7:43- A personal foul penalty forces the Spiders back, and they're unable to make anything happen on 3rd and 26. Richmond punts, and URI calls for the fair catch at its own 16, but Richmond is called for another personal foul penalty for interfering, so URI starts at its own 31.

3rd Quarter, 8:26- No score here, as Fenyak floats a pass over the middle as he was getting significant pressure, and it goes right into the hands of Roane for an interception. Roane gets a short return and UR takes over on the URI 38.

3rd Quarter, 9:47- Down 19 now, Rhody gets a nice return out to its own 33. Kamin's kickoff was low there, likely by design. URI needs a score here to stay in this game in my opinion.

3rd Quarter, 9:55- On first down, Strauss finds yet another tight end Hunter Westfall streaking across the back of the end zone for the 3-yard touchdown. That's the sophomore Westfall's first career touchdown reception. All the excitement is again dampened, however, as Kamin misses the extra point again. Still, Richmond pushes it lead to 19-0.

3rd Quarter, 10:06- Richmond with a first and goal now at the 3-yard line following a catch by tight end Sam Roller.

3rd Quarter, 11:02- Edwards gets the ball on a wide receiver end around run, and he takes it all the way to the URI 29 for the 29-yard rush. I think he made about six defenders miss on that play.

3rd Quarter, 11:37- On third down, Richmond gets more pressure on Fenyak, forcing a bad throw that goes directly into the hands of Howell for the interception. The Spiders get the ball back on their own 44. That's Howell's CAA-leading fifth interception of the season.

3rd Quarter, 12:16- On 2nd and 5, Wynn gets to Fenyak for the sack and a loss of 7 yards.

3rd Quarter, 12:59- Spoke too soon. Finney gets hit and fumbles after a short reception. After a long break to determine who got the ball, the refs determine URI recovers. The Rams take over at the UR 47.

3rd Quarter, 13:16- Two quick first downs gives Richmond the ball out near midfield. This is an efficient offense when it gets going.

3rd Quarter, 14:07- There's the arm strength problem again for Fenyak, as he tries to go deep to an open receiver, but the ball isn't deep enough, allowing Richmond's Wayne Pettus to fight for the ball and pick up the interception. Richmond takes over on its own 24.

3rd Quarter, 14:19- Richmond defensive lineman Jacob Pierce is down on the field with an apparent injury. The UR training staff has to help him get up and off the field.

3rd Quarter, 15:00- The second half begins with a touchback for the Rams, who will begin on their own 25.

Halftime- Here's my analysis of the first half: The reason I mentioned Richmond's advantage in average punt is because I didn't have the exact numbers for average starting field position, but it's a big reason the Spiders have the lead in this game. The Rams didn't strike first as I predicted in my preview, but I think it's clear the Richmond came out a little flat, failing to score in the first quarter. I'm not sure Richmond would be up two scores right now if URI wasn't forced to go with their backup quarterback, who is definitely struggling to get it to his receivers on time, whether it be because of the cold conditions or lack or arm strength. That said, Richmond is a second-half team and has been able to move the ball fairly easily so far, so I expect this lead to be extended significantly in the third quarter, likely using the power run game with Gaskins.

Halftime- Here's the important stats so far: Strauss- 12 of 17 for 145 yards, TD; Gaskins- 12 rushes for 56 yards, TD; Barnette- 3 catches for 73 yards; Fenyak- 8 of 14 for 80 yards, INT; Richmond outgaining URI in total yards, 212-101; UR has the edge in average punt, 42-33.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- That pass confirmed by suspicions of Fenyak's lack of arm strength, as the ball barely makes it to the 10-yard line. Darryl Hamilton intercepts the pass near the sideline to end the half. UR heads into the lockerroom ahead, 13-0. I'll have some halftime stats and analysis for you soon.

2nd Quarter, 0:07- URI calls a timeout from the UR 37. They'll likely just try for one more hail mary attempt.

2nd Quarter, 0:07- Richmond safety Doug Howell steps in front of the pass and almost intercepts it. He is always around the ball on big plays.

2nd Quarter, 1:20- On 3rd and 3, Richmond brings a blitz, but its picked up nicely and Fenyak finds receiver Robby Jackson open for a first down out across midfield.

2nd Quarter, 2:48- URI linebacker Andrew Bose makes a good play in the backfield to take Gaskins down for a loss on third down. UR elects to go for it on 4th down, and Strauss's pass is knocked down at the line of scrimmage. The Rams take over on their own 35.

2nd Quarter, 3:32- On 3rd and 2, Taylor comes into the game at QB, but URI calls a timeout to discuss strategy.

2nd Quarter, 4:14- A trick play attempt by the Spiders, as the handoff goes to Gaskins, who tries to throw it downfield to Edwards. Edwards is open, but the pass is out of his reach. I don't think I've ever seen a fullback pass play before.

2nd Quarter, 4:20- On 3rd and 6, the Spider D applies pressure to Fenyak, whose pass is knocked away by lineman Kerry Wynn. On the punt, Edwards finds some room for a 15-yard return across midfield to the URI 41.

2nd Quarter, 5:16- Fenyak isn't showing very good arm strength despite the decent stats. He was just nearly intercepted by Taylor because the ball stayed in the air too long.

2nd Quarter, 5:22- The Rams take the kickoff back 20 yards to the URI 22, where they'll begin their next possession.

2nd Quarter, 5:30- Richmond runs it with Gaskins three straight times and, on the third time, he falls into the end zone for the 1-yard score. Kamin is brought out again for the extra point, but he shanks it off the right cross bar. Richmond has a big problem with its kicking game. Nonetheless, the Spiders extend their lead, 13-0.

2nd Quarter, 7:08- Strauss finds receiver Rashad Ponder this time to the opposing sideline for a first down at the 8-yard line. First and goal.

2nd Quarter, 9:06- On 2nd down, Strauss throws a beautiful deep ball down the sideline to Barnette for a 41-yard play. Ball is now at the URI 39. That pass was to the perfect spot, hitting Barnette in stride.

2nd Quarter, 10:04- Rams and Spiders exchange first down penalties, and it'll be 1st and 7 at the UR 18. Don't see that number of down to go everyday.

2nd Quarter, 10:11- On 3rd and 1, UR linebacker Darius McMillan makes a big play, busting through the line to drop the Rams runner in the backfield for a loss of a yard. URI punts on 4th down, and Edwards calls for a fair catch at the UR 15.

2nd Quarter, 12:18- Fenyak is hit just as he throws it and floats it up in the air, but it goes perfectly to an open Rams receiver for a first down out to the URI 38.

2nd Quarter, 13:11- URI will begin its next possession at its own 25 following the kickoff.

2nd Quarter, 13:19- On 3rd and goal, Strauss goes up top to Edwards over the middle. Edwards makes the leaping 8-yard touchdown catch for the game's first score. Kamin is brought in to take the extra point, and he knocks it through, receiving a big cheer from the student section. Richmond takes the lead, 7-0.

2nd Quarter, 14:51- On the first play of the quarter, Gaskins breaks through several tackles all the way down to the 10-yard line, setting up a first and goal for UR.

1st Quarter, 0:00- On the final play of the quarter, safety Cooper Taylor comes into the game at quarterback and tries to run to the left, but loses 3 yards as he fumbles the ball out of bounds. At the end of the fist quarter, we're still scoreless.

1st Quarter, 0:31- Strauss instead finds Edwards short, but he's able to turn it into a first down, diving past the marker out to the 24.

1st Quarter, 0:38- Rhody calls a timeout with Richmond facing a 3rd and 9 at the URI 34. Expect Strauss to look for Barnette on this one.

1st Quarter, 1:38- Consecutive passes from Strauss to Finney nets UR a first down out to the URI 35.

1st Quarter, 2:29- On 4th and 4, the Rams go for it, and it results in disaster. UR's Aaron Roane gets to the quarterback for the sack, forcing the fumble. URI recovers, but the Spiders take over near midfield.

1st Quarter, 3:53- The Rams are trying to establish a run game early it appears, but Richmond's defensive line and linebacking corps are just overpowering the URI offensive line.

1st Quarter, 5:20- And URI moves past midfield on a deep pass. Ball is now at UR's 43.

1st Quarter, 6:58- Rams pick up their first first down of the game on short pass and run after the catch. Ball is at the URI 33.

1st Quarter, 7:42- URI takes over after the missed field goal on its own 20.

1st Quarter, 7:42- On 3rd and 7, Strauss buys some time with his feet and throws a nice pass to Gaskins that would've been a first down, but Gaskins dropped it, a rare drop by a normally sure-handed fullback. Richmond elects to try the 36-yard field goal, but Remington Hinshaw kicks it wide left. Guess that solves who won the kicker battle, for now.

1st Quarter, 9:33- Strauss finds his favorite receiver, Stephen Barnette, open for a big 25-yard gain on 2nd down. First and 10 at the URI 22.

1st Quarter, 10:36- UR's Jacobi Green breaks a big run down the sideline all the way down to the 2-yard line, but a personal foul penalty negates it, and the Spiders face a 1st and 16 from the URI 44.

1st Quarter, 11:32- Spiders catch a break, as a URI receiver was wide open deep down field, but Fenyak threw it too far toward the sideline and the receiver was unable to stay in bounds. On 3rd and 8, Richmond D stops the Rams short and URI punts. Edwards calls for a fair catch near midfield.

1st Quarter, 13:00- On 3rd and 5, Strauss throws to receiver Ben Edwards on a slant, but Edwards is unable to hang on with two Rams defenders all over him. Richmond is forced to punt and the Rams will begin on their own 13.

1st Quarter, 14:11- Strauss's first pass of the game is a bullet to tight end Kevin Finney for a first down. Great job to hang on to the ball by Finney.

1st Quarter, 14:52- We're underway now, and Richmond gets the ball first, starting at its own 26 following the kickoff return.

Pregame- It's Homecoming Weekend here and with a full day's worth of tailgating allotted for this night game, I'm expecting a rowdy group of alumni fans cheering on Richmond for this one. Just more than 1o minutes until kickoff now as the fans start to pile into Robins Stadium.

Because my professor mentioned that I didn't do this last week, and he was worried I wasn't eating, here's the press box meal for the game.

Pregame- Already received some pretty big news, as it has just been announced in the press box that URI starting quarterback Bob Bentson is out for this game, and backup Danny Fenyak, a sophomore, will start in his place. Oddly enough, I'm not sure whether this will be good or bad for the Spiders, as we all know from the JMU game two weeks ago that backup quarterbacks in the CAA are more than capable at the helm.

Pregame- Welcome back to Spider football, folks. Richmond should be well rested after their bye week, which should be good as they prepare for this important final three-game stretch of CAA football, where every game is a must win if the Spiders want to keep their playoff hopes alive. Richmond needs to avoid a letdown today against a URI team that should be over matched physically. Read all my thoughts and predictions for today in my full GAME PREVIEW.