Choeur du Roi sings modern and classic mashups at annual concert

University of Richmond's oldest coed a cappella group, Choeur du Roi, performed a mix of modern and classic songs to a supportive and excited crowd for the third annual King of Hearts Concert on Saturday.

About 100 fans, friends and family of the group members came to Camp Concert Hall to hear both Choeur du Roi and one of the a cappella groups at VCU, the Notochords, sing. Choeur du Roi members started off the show with a mash-up of "Give Your Heart a Break" by Demi Lovato and "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks, featuring junior Lindsay Hudson and senior Rachel Templeton.

Hudson and Templeton each had other solos throughout the show, as did seniors Lucie Dufour, Charlie Hudson and Nick Candido, junior Sam Abrahams and freshmen Garrett Sisson and James Grice.

Some of the songs performed included "Some Nights" by fun., "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5, "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons and a "Say My Name" mash-up of songs of the same name by Florence + The Machine and Destiny's Child. Sophomores Michele Martin and Jessie Thompson said this piece from the concert had been their favorite.

Senior Joey Greener said Saturday night's concert was one of the best Choeur du Roi concerts he had been to. He really enjoyed the multiple mash-ups the group performed and was impressed with their innovative arranging, he said.

"We worked incredibly hard," Hudson said, "and it was one of our best concerts." She said it had been great to welcome back some of the group's alumni, four of whom joined the current members on stage to sing their alumni song, "Love of the Common People."

The Notochords opened for Choeur du Roi, and after its performance, there was a short, funny video that introduced the group's members before they came on stage. The other members of the group are senior Kadeem Fyffe, juniors Emily Brewster and Chloe Zung, sophomore Greg Zahora and freshmen Liv Dulmage, Brennan Rankin and Dan Waddell.

Contact staff writer Maggie Burch at maggie.burch@richmond.edu