The Spider Way: In Print

The following is an interview with Tracey Holgren Ivey, B'82, director of consultant relations at Thompson, Siegel and Walmsley LLC.

What did you study at University of Richmond and what were your post-graduation plans?

I studied finance and marketing and wanted to work in the fashion industry.

What did you actually do post graduation and what is your current position?

After a brief stint working as a buyer for a department store, I was lucky enough to land a job at a rapidly growing money management firm.

There, I was given the opportunity to experience a broad range of sales and marketing roles before focusing on a consultant relations position, which is what I do today.

What is a typical work day in the life of Tracey Holgren Ivey?

Several days a week I am on a plane traveling to visit prospective clients. The days I spend in the office, I follow up on client requests, set up future visits, work with colleagues to develop and update marketing materials for our various products and of course, network.

What do you know now (career-related) that you wish you knew as an undergraduate student?

Build and maintain your network early and stay in touch with as many people as possible from all aspects of your life.

What is your most valuable networking technique?

Listening to others and focusing on giving. Instead of pushing my own agenda, I try to find out what is important to them and then think about what I can offer to them instead of what they can do for me.

What is the most played song on your iPod?

Anything by Lady Gaga or Bob Marley depending on how fast I'm running that day.