The Messenger to put out one of its largest editions ever

The 2012-2013 edition of The Messenger, University of Richmond's student-run literary magazine, will be one of the largest editions in the magazine's nearly 100-year history, Rachel Bevels, co-editor-in-chief, said.

The newest edition, due April 8, includes 128 pages of submissions, an increase from last year's 80 pages, Bevels said.

Bevels, along with co-editor-in-chief Astoria Aviles and the section editors, reviewed each piece of fiction, non-fiction, art and poetry, and accepted about one-third of submissions this year, Bevels said.

Bevels and Aviles had the tasks of not only taking over management of The Messenger, but also transforming the brand of the publication into a magazine that would continue to have a presence on Richmond's campus, Bevels said.

The 2013 staff worked on creating a new look for the magazine, including a smaller paper size and new fonts and colors, which Bevels said she hoped would remain consistent in coming years.

"We want people to see the magazine and say, 'That's The Messenger. I know what that is,'" Bevels said.

David Stevens, creative writing professor and faculty adviser for The Messenger, said the magazine had its origins in the 19th century. It has not always been a literary magazine, though; it made the transition into its current form right after the turn of the 20th century, Stevens said.

The Messenger now publishes only undergraduate work, Stevens said. In the past, it accepted submissions from members of the community, graduate students, professors and staff members.

"We felt that the magazine should be written for students, by students," Stevens said.

Bevels said she and Aviles had introduced a new associate editor position. The position is intended to give a younger student an opportunity to learn the responsibilities of the editor-in-chief and, if he or she chooses, to begin managing The Messenger with more experience and knowledge of the publication.

Bevels said she hoped the magazine would be an outlet for students to share their different creative talents with the campus community.

Stevens has similar ambitions as Bevels, and said he hoped The Messenger would continue to serve as an avenue to display the quality of Richmond's creative writing talent.

The Messenger is free and will be available in Ryland Hall, Boatwright Memorial Library, the Commons and other high-traffic areas on campus, Bevels said.

Contact reporter Molly Gentzel at molly.gentzel@richmond.edu