Women's Lacrosse picks up second win, 23-7, over Old Dominion

Despite the cold weather and rain, the University of Richmond women's lacrosse team picked up its second win of the season against Old Dominion University, 23-7, Tuesday in Robins Stadium.

After ODU scored two goals in the first five minutes of the game, the Spiders responded with a 9-0 run. At the end of the half, Richmond was winning, 13-5.

The temperature dropped and it started to rain at the beginning of the second half, but that did not stop the Spiders from scoring 10 more points and winning the game. The Spiders were one goal shy of tying the school record for most points scored in a game.

Head coach Allison Evans said that before the start of the game, the team had talked about staying disciplined, consistent and focused.

The way the team responded to ODU's first two goals and continued on to a 9-0 run stood out in the game, Evans said. The offense took advantage of the fast breaks and second breaks, she said.

Senior Kara Moschetti led the team with five goals and four assists.

"Both the offense and defense came out strong," Moschetti said. "We were connecting on both sides."

The offense executed on every play and many different players scored, Moschetti said.

Seniors Sam Stevenson and Jennifer Zoltoski were also lead scorers with four goals each. Overall, 10 Richmond players scored at least one goal against ODU.

The game was supposed to be played Wednesday, but was rescheduled earlier to avoid the expected inclement weather, leaving the Spiders with one less day to practice and prepare.

Although the change came as a surprise to both the coaches and the team, they were able to adapt and focus on the game, Evans said.

"It was great to win at home and protect our turf," Evans said.

The women's lacrosse team will play James Madison University at the Robins Stadium next Wednesday.

Contact reporter Marie Jayme at marie.jamie@richmond.edu