Peter Guralnick to speak on campus Tuesday

Peter Guralnick, a Grammy-winning music historian, will speak on campus tomorrow evening as part of the Jepson Leadership Forum. Guralnick will be speaking about Sam Phillips, the founder of Sun Records who launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis.

"Peter Guralnick is the most versatile historian of popular music that we have in the country," said Peter Kaufman, a professor in the Jepson School of Leadership Studies. "He has the finest ear and the finest pen in the history of popular music."

According to Guralnick's website, he has written eight books, three of which have been called New York Times Notable Books of the year. According to the Grammy Award's website, Guralnick won a Grammy in 1985 for the Best Album Notes on Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club.

Guralnick will speak Tuesday at the Jepson Alumni Center at 7 p.m. The event is co-sponsored by the departments of history and English and is part of the MacGregor Burns Lectureship in Leadership Studies and Biography.

Contact staff writer Brennan Long at brennan.long@richmond.edu