Pig Roast regulations will ensure safe drinking

Pig Roast is a spring tradition at University of Richmond made famous by its barbecue, fraternity lodge parties and underage drinking.

Eric Beatty, Richmond's police lieutenant, said in fact, the past rate of calls for police service on Pig Roast had not been much more than on a Friday night, but since Pig Roast was an all-day event, the number of violations went up.

Beatty said last year there had been only a few traffic violations and two arrests on charges of public intoxication.

Although none of the procedures for Pig Roast this year have changed, Joe Boehman, dean of Richmond College, said the two variables for the event would be the rain and the number of fraternities that were on probation.

This year, only four of the lodges that are hosting events will have alcohol for students who are over 21. Two other lodges will be hosting events without alcohol and one fraternity chose not to host an event.

"It's changing the dynamic," Boehman said, "because we have less houses that can provide alcohol. I don't know how that's going to impact things."

Mike Buckbinder, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, said his fraternity's lodge would enforce stricter regulations on checking in for students who are over and under 21 years old.

As in past years, no events with alcohol may be registered in the residence halls or apartments on Pig Roast. Fifteen to 20 police officers from the university, Henrico County and the city of Richmond, members of the deans' staffs and resident assistants will be present in the residence halls and apartments. Unauthorized events will immediately be shut down and students hosting the event will be held responsible through Richmond's student conduct process.

Boehman said since the forecast was calling for rain, the likelihood of gatherings in the apartments spilling outside or getting too loud was lower.

"On the whole, if folks are keeping it calm and being safe, we'll be cool with that," Boehman said.

Boehman said his biggest concern was a student would drink enough to get hurt. He said he hoped students would be safe and responsible and watch out for one another.

"My goal is that folks aren't going to get into any kind of trouble as far as citations and things along that line," Boehman said. "What I'm looking for is that if someone is in trouble we want to help them."

Contact staff writer Katie Evans at katie.evans@richmond.edu