Acclaimed American magazines holding event at Richmond

This Wednesday, April 16, The Atlantic and National Journal's small town hall series, "A New America: How Millennials Are Sparking Change," will be coming to the University of Richmond.

The event aims to join students, business leaders and members of the Richmond community to discuss start-ups, service engagement and career prospects for the millennial generation.

The event will feature Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine and various other local and national leaders and entrepreneurs in a wide range of fields, with expertise in how millennials should be taking advantage of career opportunities in start-ups and service as they think about their future career paths.

There will also be a panel discussion of current Richmond students who both serve in leadership positions on campus and have shown interest in innovation and entrepreneurship, to add a millennial perspective to the conversation.

Lauren Grainger, one student who will serve on the panel, said she was excited to participate in the event because of her interest in entrepreneurship and desire to one day work in a unique, more spontaneous and flexible work environment.

A networking reception will follow the speakers and panel discussions.

"Given Richmond's strong start-up community, its emphasis on service leadership and its engaged student body, we felt this was a great location for our third town hall," said Alexi New, a media relations contact at The Atlantic.

The "A New America" series has previously taken place at California State University in Los Angeles and University of Texas at Austin.

The event is being held in the Alice Haynes Room in Tyler Haynes Commons from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Click here to register for this event for free.

The event will also be chronicled on Twitter with #MillennialPathways

Contact reporter Brooke Harty at brooke.harty@richmond.edu