Richmond soccer fails to win in two weekend games

Richmond women’s soccer finished with a 0-0 tie against VCU Friday and suffered its first conference loss at George Washington Sunday afternoon. 

The Spiders played the VCU Rams at Sports Backers Stadium Friday night for 110 minutes without either team scoring a goal. Both teams played a physical match — Richmond took 13 shots and VCU took 16 shots during the game. In overtime, the Spiders had the only four shots of the first 10-minute period, and both teams struggled to find shots in the second period.

“They were good, and I thought we were good,” head coach Peter Albright told Spider TV after Friday’s tie. “Katie [Brennan] and our defense continued to play really well. I am really proud of the Richmond Spiders tonight and am not disappointed to get a point out of this in the A-10.”

The Spiders suffered their first conference defeat of the season against GW on Sunday in their last away game of the season. The Colonials won 1-0, with the Spiders failing to score despite taking more shots than they have in the past two weeks combined.

Richmond’s overall record is now 8-6-2 and 2-1-2 in the A-10. The Spiders out-shot the Colonials 15-6 in the game and had nine corner kicks compared with just two for GW.

“We played extremely well today,” Albright told SpiderTV after Sunday’s loss. “Our forwards and back line played well. This one was a head-scratcher in that we played winning soccer, but just didn’t win.”

Lindsay Egbers, sophomore midfielder, felt similarly to her coach following the games this weekend.

“They were both really hard fought games,” Egbers said. “But I know we’re going to bounce back next week and send Dayton back to Ohio crying.”

Richmond will finish the season with three straight home games, the first of which is 7 p.m. next Saturday against Dayton at Robins Stadium.