Rapid recap: Women's basketball beats Georgetown

Richmond women's basketball defeated Georgetown 65-57 in a back-and-forth game Sunday afternoon. 

After a dominant first half, Genevieve Okoro sat on the bench for a large portion of the second half because of foul trouble, but the Spiders were able to weather the Georgetown storm and hold on to win in a close game.

Neither team allowed the other to pull away, but ultimately Richmond was able to protect its hot start with tenacious defense and solid free-throw shooting down the stretch. Okoro finished with 17 points, nine rebounds and two blocks despite sitting for extended periods of time throughout the second half.

Janelle Hubbard chipped in 17 points of her own to go along with five rebounds and four steals. Lauren Tolson had 16 points, six rebounds and a blocked shot in Richmond’s win.

Richmond moved to 2-0 this season despite being out-rebounded by the Hoyas 21-10. The Hoyas’ length helped them on the glass, but they struggled to stay in front of Richmond’s guards and picked up a lot of fouls as a result. Richmond capitalized, keeping the game out of reach from the free throw line, hitting a shade under 80 percent for the game.

Dominique Vitalis fueled Georgetown’s offense, finishing with 19 points and eight rebounds in the loss. Dorothy Adomako also played well for the Hoyas, scoring 11 points and grabbing 11 rebounds for a double-double.

Richmond looks to extend its undefeated start and move to 3-0 in a home game against Longwood at 7 p.m. Thursday.