A day in the life: Abigail Evangeliste

<p>Abigail Evangeliste in her ROTC uniform. </p>

Abigail Evangeliste in her ROTC uniform. 

Abigail Evangeliste is a sophomore from Donegal, Pennsylvania, majoring in business economics. Evangeliste came to University of Richmond to join the Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps. She has wanted to be an officer in the United States Army since she was 14 years old. Evangeliste’s schedule is different from most other students, except maybe athletes, she said. Time management is important for her to stay on top of school work, extracurricular activities and ROTC. In addition to physical training, ROTC students learn map reading, land navigation, how to lead a squad or platoon, relevant medical information and how to prepare for certain situations. Evangeliste’s biggest challenge has been feeling as if there is not enough time to do everything. She said she thought she could be doing better academically if not for her other responsibilities, which could be frustrating at times and hard to balance. Evangeliste wants people to know that ROTC is not “super hardcore.” It is manageable but takes commitment, and it is more serious and pre-professional than some other clubs. Something you don’t know about Evangeliste? Her mom is from Thailand. Here’s a glimpse into a day in her life:

5:30 a.m. – Wake up. It's raining. Yay.

5:55-7:00 a.m. – PT (physical training for ROTC)

7:00-7:30 a.m. – Racing the clock to shower and get dressed before my 8:00 a.m. class.

7:35 a.m. – 8:15 at Boatwright for my iced latte that is imperative to my survival.

7:45 a.m. – Get to the business school; commence reviewing for my B-stats quiz.

8:00-8:50 a.m. – B-stats quiz and class.

9:00-9:50 a.m. – Military science class. Learn map reading and route planning.

10:00-10:30 a.m. – Food, finally.

10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Go to the library to study for econ quiz.

12:30-1:15 p.m. – Nap, finally.

1:30-2:45 p.m. – Managerial accounting.

3:00-4:15 p.m. – Econ quiz and class.

4:15-5:30 p.m. – Homework.

5:45-6:45 p.m. – Dinner.

7:00-9:00 p.m. – Head to the Delta Gamma cottage for Chapter Management Team meeting.

9:00-11:30 p.m. – Homework.

11:30 p.m. – Try to get ready for bed.

12:00 a.m. – Finally done looking at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Yik Yak and GroupMe.

Contact Copy Editor Rebecca Fradkin at rebecca.fradkin@richmond.edu