A day in the life: Jared Ingersoll

<p>Jared Ingersoll, Richmond College '15</p>

Jared Ingersoll, Richmond College '15

Jared Ingersoll is a senior from Harrison City, Pennsylvania, majoring in chemistry. He plays on University of Richmond’s ice hockey team and also works for UREMS. Ingersoll became an EMT because he was interested in health care as a freshman. He has worked on UREMS for three years and plans to apply to medical schools in June. Ingersoll’s favorite aspect of the job is how unexpected it can be. Every call is different, and his job is never boring. His biggest challenge is balancing school work and other activities alongside being an EMT, but it’s manageable and forces him to work on his time management skills. Ingersoll wants other students to know that alcohol-related calls are only 30 percent of what UREMS responds to. A lot of calls are serious and can range from chest pain or an allergic reaction to cardiac arrest. Something you don’t know about Ingersoll? He worked as a customer service agent for Spirit Airlines a few summers ago, and “basically got paid to be yelled at by upset customers.” Here’s a glimpse into a day in his life:

5:37 a.m. – Pulled out of bed to respond to an asthma attack across campus. Sweet. En route.

6:30 a.m. – Back to bed, hopefully for good.

8:42 a.m. – Wake up for real this time. Play the "how long can I lie in bed without being late" game.

9:00 a.m. – Just on time to biochemistry.

10:00 a.m. – Head into lab to work on organic chemistry research.

12:15 p.m. – Best day of the week: Sushi Wednesday. After sampling each for the 1000th time, I finally settle on "crispy crab."

12:30 p.m. – Get some homework done.

3:00 p.m. – Medical ethics class to debate cognitive enhancement.

4:02 p.m. – Almost made it through classes without a call. Allergic reaction: bee sting.

4:45 p.m. – Off the call. Go back to my apartment and watch 2-15 episodes of Parks & Rec on Netflix.

6:00 p.m. – UREMS shift over, officially off duty.

6:05 p.m. – Dinner time. Look in fridge to see what I can make.

6:06 p.m. – Go to Chipotle.

7:08 p.m. – Puck drops for the Penguins game.

8:40 p.m. – Leave for hockey practice.

11:15 p.m. – Return from practice, shower, eat, procrastinate, etc.

11:45 p.m. – Start reading for class the next day.

12:13 a.m. – End up falling asleep mid-paragraph.

Contact Copy Editor Rebecca Fradkin at rebecca.fradkin@richmond.edu