Nelson-Ododa's eyepatch raises concern about injury

<p>Courtesy of Richmond Basketball</p>

Courtesy of Richmond Basketball

Richmond basketball player Alonzo Nelson-Ododa was seen wearing an eyepatch at Wednesday night's game against VCU, raising concern among fans about the severity of an eye injury he suffered Feb. 8 during a game against Rhode Island. 

Nelson-Ododa underwent successful surgery Feb. 9 to repair a fractured bone around his right eye, according to a Richmond Athletics press release. He was declared out indefinitely following the surgery, but the Spiders' three-game win streak overshadowed his absence until Wednesday night, when fans saw him wearing the eyepatch. 

It is unknown when Nelson-Ododa will be healthy enough to play. The Spiders have won four of five games since he was injured though, including signature wins against George Washington and VCU. 

Nelson-Ododa was averaging seven points per game, 5.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocks before suffering the injury.

We will update this story as information becomes available regarding Nelson-Ododa's health and readiness to play. 

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu