Choeur du Roi celebrates 20 years at annual concert

Brightly-colored corduroy pants, videos of the group introducing medleys against its alter-ego "Furmata" and a rendition of “Uptown Funk” that brought the crowd to its feet could all be seen at the annual King of Hearts concert on Friday that celebrated Choeur du Roi’s 20th anniversary as an a cappella group.

The members of Choeur du Roi, University of Richmond’s oldest co-ed a cappella group, showed their love of music and each other by donning their signature cords and singing to a nearly sold-out crowd. Parents, friends and Choeur du Roi alumni all attended the concert to show their support for the group and end each song with wild cheering and applause.

As a tribute to 20 years of music, Choeur du Roi – Chords, for short – performed four mash-ups that the group had previously performed from the years 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2010. The mash-ups were meant to give the audience a bit of a throwback while celebrating two decades of singing and family, said Chloe Zung, Chords' president.

Each member of the group had a solo to show off their individual talent, Zung said. In addition, all Chords alumni in the audience were invited up to sing “Common People,” which the group has been singing since it was founded in 1995, said Victoria Provost, assistant music director of Chords.

“I’ve been to Chords concerts before, but this one was especially fun,” said Mollie Moroney, an audience member. “You could really tell how hard everyone had been working and how much fun they were having up there.”

Zung said her favorite memory of her four years in Chords was getting ready for this concert. The group stepped up its game last night and in the weeks leading up to the concert and have truly blown Zung away, she said.

Before the concert, Zung said they were excited to show off all their hard work and hoped everyone would enjoy listening to their music. Rj Morrison, a sophomore who attended the performance, said he thought it was apparent how much the audience enjoyed the show.

“Everyone just looked like they were having a really good time,” Morrison said. “I’d never been to an a cappella concert, and it was much more fun than I had expected. The throwback mash-ups were a really cool idea.”

Members of other a cappella groups on campus also attended the performance to support their friends and peers.

“I think the Chords are great,” said Duncan Trawick, a freshman and member of The Octāves. “They consistently put on a good show.”

Although each group is focused on sharing its love of music with the school, what makes Chords special to Zung are the close bonds they share with one another, she said.

“Being in Chords has given me a true family, a network of unconditional friends and my favorite part of every day,” Zung said.

“The Chords are fantastic,” said Chris Poff, a sophomore in the Octāves. “The blend of male and female voices combined with all their talent and hard work creates a really unique and beautiful sound.”

Even though different groups exist on campus, they all share the same love of singing and music that makes their bonds grow stronger, Provost said. Like all other families, they love each other despite stressful times and are always able to pull through and have an amazing time together, she said.

Zung, who Provost described as not just a president but a friend, said the work of everyone in Chords constantly impressed her. 

“Being in an a cappella group is really just making music with a bunch of people I love a few times a week,” Provost said. “We’re proud of what we do, and we love performing any chance that we get.”

Contact reporter Annie Blanc at annie.blanc@richmond.edu