Department of Education speaks with students on sexual misconduct policies

3:51 p.m. Zero students attend open forums

Although the Department of Education hosted seminars for both Richmond College students and Westhampton College students, no students attended either hour-long session.

The four Department of Education officials ended the sessions 20 minutes early when it became evident that the turnout would not be high.

3:02 p.m. Three students attend second office hours session

Three Richmond students spoke with representatives from the Department of Education during the second of two office hour sessions, after four students attended the morning session.

The Department of Education, which sent four representatives to University of Richmond to speak with students about sexual misconduct policies, hosted hour-long office hour sessions in the Tyler Hanes Common at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

The department will hold two open forums – one for Richmond College students and one for Westhampton College students -- on the third floor of the Tyler Hanes Common from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The Department of Education’s representatives will then host multiple forums with certain student groups for the remainder of their time on campus.

The representatives declined contact, directing The Collegian to the department’s press secretary who has not responded to multiple messages.

This story will be updated throughout the day.

12:38 p.m. Four students attend first session of office hours

After government officials arrived about 20 minutes late to the first round of office hours, four University of Richmond students spoke with representatives from the Department of Education, whose officials are speaking with students about sexual misconduct policies during their one-day visit.

The officials arrived to a welcome meeting about 45 minutes late. The welcome meeting, which President Ed Ayers attended, was originally scheduled for 10 a.m., and its late start led to the delay, said Julia Kelly, assistant to the vice president for student development.

The officials, who met with students privately, did not have a set list of questions prepared, but rather catered each session to what individual students wanted to present to the department.

The Department of Education is visiting Richmond as part of a federal investigation for a Title IX policy complaint. Richmond, which is one of 94 schools under federal investigation, has been under investigation since June.

The government officials leading the office hours declined comment.

The Department of Education will hold another session of office hours at from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in room 338C in the Tyler Haynes Commons.