Richmond earns top seed in NIT

Richmond men’s basketball earned a number-one seed in the National Invitation Tournament after a loss to VCU in the Atlantic 10 quarterfinals ended the team’s chances for an NCAA Tournament berth.

Just before 7 p.m. on Sunday, the Spiders learned the NCAA Selection Committee listed them as one of the first four teams out, which gives Richmond a top seed in the NIT. Two hours later, the Spiders learned they would host St. Francis in the first round at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 18.

Some college basketball analysts speculated that the Spiders were on track for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament before the 70-67 loss to VCU on Friday. Richmond had been on a six-game win streak before the loss, including a double overtime victory over VCU in the Robins Center on Feb. 25.

The Spiders have not played in the NIT since 2003. Richmond has appeared in the postseason six times since, with three NCAA Tournament bids and three College Basketball Invitational bids.

After a league-record six A-10 teams made the NCAA Tournament last year, just three teams earned bids this season. VCU, the first-time conference champions, earned a seventh seed. Davidson earned a 10th seed and Dayton will play for an 11th seed against Boise State in the First Four.

Joining the Spiders in the NIT are A-10 members Rhode Island and George Washington, who earned third and fifth seeds, respectively.

If Richmond defeats St. Francis, it could potentially host 2014 national champion Connecticut in the second round. Connecticut plays Arizona State at 7 p.m. on March 18. 

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu