Ayers to answer questions at President's Forum

<p>Outgoing president Edward L. Ayers. </p><p><strong>Photo by Evan McKay.</strong></p>

Outgoing president Edward L. Ayers. 

Photo by Evan McKay.

President Ed Ayers will answer pre-approved questions submitted by students at the President's Forum, hosted by University of Richmond’s Mortar Board Chapter, in the Ukrop Auditorium at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The question-and-answer session comes about two months before Ayers will officially step down as university president. Dr. Ronald A. Crutcher will become the new university president.

UR's Mortar Board Society is holding the President's Forum to promote better communication. The Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society is "an association of individuals selected for distinguished ability and achievement in scholarship, leadership and service," according to Mortar Board's website. The association strives to promote leadership on campus, create an effective environment for communication and achieve goals and uphold the ideals of society.

In February 2014, Ayers informed the UR community that he would be stepping down June 30, 2015, after eight years as president. Among his successes as president, the fulfillment of The Richmond Promise, a one-of-a-kind strategic plan that will guide the university’s priorities over the next five years, will continue on after he leaves the position.

Beyond holding the position of president of UR, Ayers is a renowned American historian, professor, and award recipient of the National Humanities Medal. After he officially ends his presidency, he will continue working for UR as a professor where he hopes to get back to his life as a teacher and write at least two books according to a message sent to the university community.

The President’s Forum will give students a final chance to better get to know the person who has been the face of Richmond for nearly the past decade.

Contact News Assistant Helaine Ridilla at Helaine.Ridilla@richmond.edu