Salute to Dr. Ayers invitation promotes Dr. "DJ" Ayers

<p>President Ayers has radio experience, seen here at Back Story Radio. </p>

President Ayers has radio experience, seen here at Back Story Radio. 

University of Richmond students are invited to a final “Salute to Dr. Ayers,” an event that will feature live entertainment and student-created videos, at Crenshaw Field at 7 p.m. on April 18.

It remains unclear, however, if Ayers will perform as a DJ, as the invitation implies.

The event will feature “Dr. “DJ” Ayers,” Drugstore Cowboys formerly known as “The Family Band” & senior student, George Washburne,“ according to the invitation students received in an email.

George Washburne, RC ’14, said the event would feature live music performed by himself and the Drugstore Cowboys, another student-run band.

“I think President Ayers will be joining the band and me on a tune,” Washburne said.

Instead, Ayers said he would just be another crowd participant “singing along with everyone else to the music the live bands are playing.”

Although Ayers listened to music from Coachella last weekend, singing along to the band’s music would be more enjoyable than for him “to inflict Classic Rock on young people,” he said.

“It’ll be a great send-off for Ayers,” Washburne said.

Contact reporter Holly Speck at holly.speck@richmond.edu