Men's lacrosse earns top seed, will host Southern Conference tournament

<p>Mitch Goldberg shoots during the Spiders' last regular-season game against Mercer. The Spiders won and clinched the top seed in the Southern Conference. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. </p>

Mitch Goldberg shoots during the Spiders' last regular-season game against Mercer. The Spiders won and clinched the top seed in the Southern Conference. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Richmond men’s lacrosse team will face Furman at 5 p.m. on Thursday at Robins Stadium on the opening day of the conference tournament, which Richmond is hosting after earning the top seed in the Southern Conference.

In the last meeting between the two teams, Richmond pulled out an 8-2 win.

The Spiders (10-4, 6-0) head into the conference tournament on a four-game winning streak, with their last win coming against Mercer, who finished second in the conference.

In the two-year history of the program, this year marks the first in which the Spiders have been nationally ranked. In the Cascade/Maverik Inside Lacrosse media poll, the Spiders are ranked 20th, and have received votes in other polls too.

Many Spiders received SoCon awards. Head Coach Dan Chemotti was named SoCon Coach of the Year and eight players were named to the all-conference team; among them was the Defensive Player of the Year, Brendan Hynes.

Last season, the Spiders were victorious in the Atlantic Sun conference tournament and received an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament where they lost at Air Force in the first round.

The championship game will be shown Sunday, May 2 at 2 p.m. on ESPN3.

Contact Social Media Editor Olivia Healy at olivia.healy@richmond.edu