Sagan uses late surge to win first gold for Slovakia in Men's Elite Road Race

<p>Sagan, middle, has won many races, but he said this one was biggest victory | Rayna Mohrmann</p>

Sagan, middle, has won many races, but he said this one was biggest victory | Rayna Mohrmann

Peter Sagan of Slovakia broke away from a crowded peloton and willed his way to victory in the 2015 Men's Elite Road Race, capping off the UCI Road World Championships.

Sagan, who finished in 6:14:37, made a move in the final 1000 meters, earning himself a comfortable lead. Despite the lead, though, Sagan looked exhausted as he pushed through the final stretch of the 261.4-km (162.4-mile race), which started on University of Richmond's campus. He held on though, winning in style with his arms raised, the first world championship medal for Slovakia in the men's road race.

“Today I was just waiting, waiting. I did just one attack, and it was, I think, the right attack,” Sagan said. He waited just long enough to make the deciding break.

Australian Michael Matthews was second, followed by Lithuanian Ramunas Navardauskas in third. Each were three seconds behind the winner.

American Tyler Farrar (left) led or was in second place for much of the final lap, but the many riders, led by the Italians, Dutch and French, swarmed together with about four kilometers left. He ended up finishing 79th. Alex Howes was the fastest American, coming in 12th finishing three seconds off the lead. Richmond local Ben King finished 53rd.

In an overall ranking of nations' success, the Netherlands came in first followed by France and Australia, respectively.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu