UR Greek: Fiji to return to campus spring 2016

This is the third segment of a four-part series on changes in Greek life at University of RichmondYou can read the other pieces here.

Phi Gamma Delta, or Fiji, will return to campus for its recruitment the week after Interfraternity Council spring recruitment, but Richmond College students interested in joining Greek life will have the opportunity to learn about Fiji this fall.

There was an introductory program for all men interested in going through recruitment on Monday Sept. 7, where there was information on Fiji at this event, said Meg Pevarski, assistant director for Greek life.

Fiji will have some introductory events later this fall before recruitment next semester, Matt Farrell, director of expansion for Phi Gamma Delta, wrote in an email. Two staff members will be on campus over a six-week period to recruit the new member class with assistance from local graduated brothers, he said.

“Our recruitment focus is on men that have not already found the right fraternity for them, or are attracted to the idea of building one from the ground up,” Farrell said.

He wrote he was excited about “the quality of the student body at Richmond” between the academic rigor and general campus involvement. Male students of all ages are welcome to join as well.

The chapter left campus because of low membership, a decision made by both the local graduate trustees and the International Fraternity, Farrell said.

“When we closed their chapter… we did that in conjunction with their national organization, and as a part of that, we set up a plan for them coming back to campus,” Pevarski said.

Fiji has been paying rent to the university to keep its fraternity lodge, and will move back into its previous lodge when it returns to campus.

Fiji’s recruitment process will look very different from the rest of the IFC’s recruitment week, Pevarski said. Fiji representatives will meet with interested students several times before offering a bid. Ultimately the fraternity will want a strong member class to set a sturdy foundation for the fraternity to grow.

Contact reporter Ellie Potter at elizabeth.potter@richmond.edu