In the Know: Richmond lands a top 20 ranking, Ayers to participate in Cold War talk

<p></p>

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Mapping the Cold War presentation to be held Tuesday

Richmond professor Tim Barney’s new book, “Mapping the Cold War: Cartography and the Framing of America's International Power,” focuses on how maps articulate American interests and international aspirations. Three Richmond professors, President Emeritus Edward Ayers, Jeannine Keefer and David Brandenberger, will discuss how the book intersects with their fields and interests this Tuesday, Oct. 6 from 5-6p.m. in the International Commons.

Lawyer who represented Guantanamo detainee to visit campus

The Richmond law school’s moot courtroom, Dennis Edney, will be presenting a lecture titled, “The Rule of Law in the Age of Terror,” Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 6 p.m. Edney is a member of the criminal defense bar in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, a Queen’s Council, and a member of the board of directors of the Law Society of Alberta.

Edney represented Omar Khadr, a Canadian captured by American forces in Afghanistan who was imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay. In 2008, The Toronto Star quoted Khadr, who was arrested when he was 15, "I said that I told the Americans whatever they wanted me to say because they would torture me." 

STC Performance this Wednesday

Subject to Change (STC), Richmond’s student improv comedy troupe, is performing with their two newest members Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 11:59 p.m. at the Jepson quad.

"This is our first official quad show featuring our two newest members, player Grant Hinman and director Peyton Carter,” STC member and UR senior John Obeck said. “Peyton's been working really hard on coming up with this week's script and Grant has been doing a great job practicing and memorizing his lines. I'm excited to see how they do and we hope a ton of people come out to support them and the rest of the troupe."

Richmond ranks in top 20 on Niche’s Best Liberal Arts Colleges

University of Richmond was ranked 12th on Niche’s 2016 Best Liberal Arts Colleges list out of the 1,713 public and private, traditional four-year colleges and universities in the United States that were assessed. The ranking takes into consideration academic grade, value grade, student surveys and a number of other factors.

“The top Liberal Arts colleges are elite academic colleges that provide a good value and an exceptional overall college experience through a smaller and more personalized learning environment,” according to niche.com.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu