What you need to know for Ronald Crutcher's inauguration

Class Schedule

Classes scheduled to begin between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.  are cancelled, according to Richmond's website, in order to allow faculty, staff, and students to attend Inauguration events.

Inauguration Ceremony, 11 a.m., Robins Center

The inauguration of the University of Richmond’s 10th president, Ronald A. Crutcher, a national leader in higher education and a distinguished classical musician, will take place. Crutcher became president of the University of Richmond on July 1 and the inauguration marks a special time in the university’s history. For those unable to make it to the event in person, you can watch via lifestream.

Inauguration Luncheon, 12:30 p.m., Millhiser Green

A luncheon in honor of Inauguration will be hosted by the university on Millhiser Green. All are welcome.

Inaugural Symposium, 2:30 p.m., Camp Concert Hall, Booker Hall of Music

Newly inaugurated President Crutcher will moderate a symposium titled, “America’s Unmet Promise – The Imperative for Equity in Higher Education.” The symposium features panelists Estela Mara Bensimon, The Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California; Lani Guinier, Bennett Boskey professor of law, Harvard Law School, author of “The Tyranny of the Meritocracy: Democratizing Higher Education in America”; and Carol Geary Schneider, president, Association of American Colleges & Universities.

Homecoming Concert, 8 p.m., Westhampton Green

The second annual homecoming concert, featuring rapper Chiddy Bang, will be hosted by SpiderBoard on the Westhampton Green. The concert is free with a student SpiderCard. For more information contact, spiderboard@richmond.edu. 

In addition to the days’ events, the university’s events office is making great efforts to be eco-friendly for the inauguration ceremony this Friday. This office is providing campus and hotel shuttles during inauguration weekend to reduce emissions from single-occupancy vehicles.

They have also chosen to use reusable china and silverware instead of disposable serving ware for Inauguration meals. The events office is also managing the collection of recyclable materials throughout the day. In preparation for the event, the office has reduced dependence on printed materials through a paperless planning process and online events reservation system. Indigenous ornamental plants will be on display at key Inauguration venues and the office has repurposed six maple trees to be used as decoration during Inauguration.

Contact News Assistant Caroline McNamara at caroline.macnamara@richmond.edu