All activities at Richmond Sunday cancelled

<p>Photo by&nbsp;Hannah Matheson</p>

Photo by Hannah Matheson

All activities at University of Richmond are cancelled Sunday because of the snowstorm, according to an email from university administrators.

The Heilman Dining Center will be open tomorrow from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and will continue to post updates on operating hours on its page. The dining hall closed at 5 p.m. today and breakfast to-go options were offered in anticipation of tomorrow morning’s delayed opening. An announcement was made on the public address system asking students to please “help us out here,” and leave promptly at 5 p.m. so employees could make it home.

Dave McCoy, University of Richmond Police Department chief, said no major incidents have occurred on campus during the storm. He recommended students not to drive in unsafe conditions but said it was up to the students if they want to drive.

“They’re adults, they’ll make their own decisions, but I‘m sure they’re paying attention to the weather patterns,” McCoy said.

McCoy also said that the roads on campus were in better shape than roads elsewhere because of the effort of the facilities department. “Conditions on campus tend to be better than in the neighboring communities ... if you go out on some of the side roads in the county and the city, it gets a little rough,” he said.

“We’re trying to keep pace with the storm ... but it’s challenging.”

URPD is coordinating with employees to ensure there are enough officers on campus, including picking officers up from their homes if they cannot make it to work.

“A lot of people are out and about enjoying the weather, but the storm is probably going to get old quick," McCoy said.

Contact features assistant Danny Heifetz at danny.heifetz@richmond.edu