In The Know: Richmond hosts ChinaFest, Mortar Board holds President’s Forum

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

WDCE looking for student radio hosts

WDCE 90.1 FM, the University of Richmond student radio station, is looking for students to host their own two-hour shows broadcasted every week. Student shows can be about sports opinions, campus events or students can DJ. No previous DJing experience is required for those interested. For more information email wdce.volunteer@gmail.com.

Richmond holds annual ChinaFest

ChinaFest is Richmond’s annual festival to promote better understanding and goodwill between the United States and China. This years’ festival will be held Feb. 11-14 and include discussion and arts related events that are free and open to the public.

Thurs., Feb. 11, International Commons, 7 p.m.
Opening Lecture by Kenneth Lieberthal: "Xi Jinping's China: Goals, Challenges, and Prospects"

Fri., Feb. 12, Ukrop Auditorium
"The Monkey King: Uproar in Heaven" 3 p.m.
"No. 89 Shimen Road" 7:30 p.m.

Sat., Feb. 13, Ukrop Auditorium
"The Personals" 10:30 a.m.
"Torch Troupes" 1 p.m.

Sun., Feb. 14, Ukrop Auditorium
"Enter the Dragon" 7:30 p.m.

Crutcher to speak about leadership lessons

The Mortar Board will hold its annual President’s Forum Tuesday, February 9 at 7 p.m. in the Jepson Lecture Hall 118. President Ronald Crutcher will be speaking, and the theme of the talk is, “Spiral Up: Seven Critical Leadership Lessons.” The event is free and open to the public.

“Russia-An Enigma” to be Richmond World Affairs next lecture

The Richmond World Affairs next lecture, “Russia-An Enigma,” will be held Wednesday, February 10 at 5:30 p.m. in the Empire Room of the Jefferson Hotel. Allen Lynch, a politics professor at the University of Virginia, will be speaking about Russia.

The Office of International Education is providing all faculty, staff and students a free shuttle to and from the lecture. For those interested in the event click here, and for those interested in the shuttle click here.

Climate justice discussion welcomes guest

A Chesapeake Climate Action Network and Sierra Club representative will be visiting the university during the Climate Justice Discussion to talk about environmental legislation affecting the Richmond area like the Clean Power Plan, costal conservation and more. The lunch will be held Wednesday, February 10 at 12 p.m. in the Wilton Center Multifaith Room. The event is free and open to all undergraduate and graduate students. Free pizza will also be provided.

Richmond’s holds annual Tucker-Boatwright Festival

For Richmond’s annual Tucker-Boatwright Festival the English Department and Boatwright Library are partnering to screen films that have been selected by the series guests. The films explore the distinctions between “popular” and “high” art. The screenings will be held in the Adams Auditorium, and are free and open to the public. The films will be shown after the writers visit Richmond.

Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away (recommended by Kelly Link) - February 25, 7:30 p.m.

Carl Franklin's Devil in a Blue Dress (adapted from the novel by Walter Mosley) - March 15, 6:30 p.m.

Jennifer Kent's The Babadook (recommended by China Mieville) - April 14, 5 p.m.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu