Attacks in Brussels kill at least 31, safety of Richmond students abroad unclear

Update: There currently are not any Richmond students studying abroad in Brussels, said Michael Warchol, Richmond's manager for international communications, in an email. The Office of International Education has contacted all students studying abroad in Europe and have heard back from more than two-thirds of them, all of who are safe, he said. 

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks in Brussels, The New York Times reported. According to CNN, at least 34 people are confirmed dead with more than 170 people reported as wounded in the attacks.

Original Story:

Two blasts in a Brussels, Belgium, airport around 3 a.m. EST, or 7 a.m. in Brussels, killed at least 11 people and injured at least 81 more, according to BBC. About an hour later, another explosion occurred at a metro station, killing at least 20 more people. 

University of Richmond students frequently study abroad in Brussels. It is unclear at this time how many students are currently in Brussels and whether they are all safe. 

The Office of International Education did not answer phone calls, likely because it was attempting to contact those students to ensure their safety. 

At least one Richmond student confirmed her safety on Facebook.

The attacks occurred four days after Paris attacker Salah Abdeslam was seized in Brussels. 

We will update this story as soon as more information becomes available.

Contact editor-in-chief Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu