Kappa Alpha Theta's Rock the CASA breaks fundraising records despite event cancellation

<p>Photo courtesy of Kappa Alpha Theta's Facebook page.</p>

Photo courtesy of Kappa Alpha Theta's Facebook page.

Correction: Kappa Alpha Theta raised $13,000 at Rock the CASA, which set the university student organization record for fundraising at a single event, Ali Grogan, director of the event, said during the event. In previous years, Tri Delta raised $27,000 with its Sincerely Yours fundraising campaign, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon raised $23,000 with its Polar Plunge fundraising campaign. Neither of the two higher amounts were raised during participatory events.

Though rainy skies stopped the runners, they couldn’t stop the fundraisers for Kappa Alpha Theta’s Rock the CASA event. Even without the 5K race throughout campus, the Epsilon Psi chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta raised more than $13,000 for their national philanthropy, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), through online donations and a $10 race registration fee.

Friday’s forecast predicted scattered showers throughout most of the day. The rainy forecast was not conducive to safe running or a fun block party atmosphere, so Theta and the university agreed to cancel the event.

This year’s event was supposed to be the premier of Theta’s new signature philanthropy event. In the past the chapter has done an annual KAT Walk, a charity fashion show. Because of the low attendance at last year’s KAT Walk, the sorority decided to create a new event, said Margeaux Hummerstone, Service and Philanthropy Director.

The women of Theta voted on what the new event would be. They looked to other Theta chapters for event ideas and discovered the title, Rock the CASA, Hummerstone said.

When the women decided on a 5K race, there was some concern over conflict with the Henrico County chapter of CASA's annual 5K on Saturday. However, when Theta presented the idea to CASA, they were very supportive and excited about the event, Hummerstone said.

The route for the race would have started at the IM fields, then progressed across the new Gateway Apartments bridge and ended with two laps around the lake. The race was also supposed to include water stations organized by other Greek affiliated and non-Greek affiliated clubs and organizations, Jihyun Lee, a Theta sister, said.

“I was so excited to share our new signature philanthropy with the community and I am so happy it was such a success, which is a testament to the hard work of Ali [Grogan] and Meredith [Erskine],” Elizabeth Meyer, Theta's publications director, said of Grogan, Rock the CASA's director.

It was so successful that Theta was able to present Barbara Herzog, a representative from CASA, with a check for $13,131.32. Additionally, Theta will give CASA over $400 to add to the check because the online donation page is still active and receiving donations.

“I was so happy that we exceeded our financial goals,” said Caroline Quamme, the chief financial officer.

The amount of money Theta raised for this event set a new university record for most money raised by a student organization. They raised five times the average money of a university philanthropy event, Grogan said.

According to CASA’s website, its mission is to “support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy so every abused or neglected child in the United States can be safe, have a permanent home and the opportunity to thrive.”

Last year the Henrico County chapter of CASA helped 350 children in the court system, Herzog said. She said it costs $1,000 to support one child for one year.

“With [Theta's] donation we can help 13 more children in Henrico County,” Herzog said.

Theta’s record-breaking fundraising was a success despite the 5K's cancellation. Jessica Westberry, Theta's president, said that to compensate for the cancelled race, anyone who had signed up to run will be able to participate in next year’s race for free.  

Contact reporter Charlotte Dowell at charlotte.dowell@richmond.edu