President Crutcher announces third-party review of Title IX processes in email to alumni

<p>Ronald Crutcher speaking with a member of the Richmond community last fall.&nbsp;</p>

Ronald Crutcher speaking with a member of the Richmond community last fall. 

University of Richmond President Ronald Crutcher announced a third-party review of the university's handling of sexual misconduct in an email to alumni Wednesday.

"...we have engaged an external firm with significant experience and expertise in this area to review our processes for investigating and responding to allegations of sexual misconduct," Crutcher wrote. 

Crutcher began his message by addressing the sexual assault conversations this week "following the publication of an essay by one of our students concerning the University’s handling of her sexual assault complaint." He named neither Cecilia Carreras nor Whitney Ralston, the two Westhampton College students who published their accounts of sexual assault and Title IX investigations last week.

Much of Crutcher's email addressed the discussions among alumni, encouraging continued dialogue and asking for suggestions.

To read the full email, click here.

Contact editor-in-chief Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu

To submit an anonymous tip, click here