Senior guard Janelle Hubbard hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to finish the game against VCU yesterday, but the Richmond women's basketball team still came up short, falling 57–55 to the Rams.

Junior guard Micaela Parson and Hubbard led the team on offense, scoring 17 and 18 points. Regardless, the Spiders still performed significantly below their season average in the scoring department and were largely held back by VCU's defense.

“When we catch it we’re not necessarily ready to shoot it, which gives the defense a second opportunity,” Richmond coach Michael Schafer told SpiderTV postgame.

The Rams took an early lead in the first quarter, which pushed Schafer to shift his defensive plan.

The Spiders adopted a zone defense for the majority of the game, which they rarely employ. This unorthodox method paid off for Richmond in that it kept VCU to a relatively low score, though they trailed for most of the game.

“After they put four guards on the floor, they were really hard to guard from outside … but I think our kids did a really good job guarding the three and getting those rebounds,” Schafer said.

Taylor Block | The Collegian

With the score tight, Janelle Hubbard goes up for a floater shot in the fourth period.

The Rams' leading scorers, Mooriah Rowser and Keira Robinson, were held to 15 and 6 points. Although there was a lack of scoring by the team leaders, VCU showed their depth in scoring ability by putting up points from upper- and underclassmen alike.

After the loss to VCU, Richmond moved to a conference record of 4–6. On Sunday, the Spiders will face Rhode Island, who is currently last in the conference with a record of 0–9.

Contact sports writer Colby Wilcox at colby.wilcox@richmond.edu

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Collegian.