Pro-life organizations host "We Don't Need Planned Parenthood" tour on campus

<p>Sophomore&nbsp;Liam Rose&nbsp;&nbsp;stands with a representative from Spiders for Life to discuss the information presented on the posters.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Liam Rose  stands with a representative from Spiders for Life to discuss the information presented on the posters. 

Students for Life of America and Spiders for Life, two student organizations on campus, gathered in the Forum Tuesday to host a “We Don’t Need Planned Parenthood” tour.

A table was set up along with posters providing information regarding the differences between Planned Parenthood and Federally Qualified Healthcare Centers (FQHCs).

“We’re trying to inform the campus community about what Planned Parenthood offers and what other options are available, such as FQHCs, which provide more opportunities for women to get healthcare than Planned Parenthood does,” freshman Meghan Miller-Brown, president of Spiders for Life, said.

FQHCs are federally funded facilities located throughout the United States that provide medical services to underserved communities. The main difference between FQHCs and Planned Parenthood clinics is that FQHCs do not administer abortions.

They provide primary and preventive care including substance abuse, as well as physical, oral and mental health services.

“There are a lot of differences in terms of what each facility offers, how they’re paid, and how they operate,” freshman Rose Ferraro, co-president of Spiders for Life, said.

Miller-Brown shared this sentiment.

“What I really like about FQHCs is that if you go to a center that doesn’t offer the service that the woman needs [with the exception of an abortion], an FQHC representative will drive the woman to a different FQHC that will provide them that service,” Miller-Brown said.

Miller-Brown and Ferraro remained firm that the rally was not anti-Planned Parenthood.

“We’re just trying to get information out there about other options that offer more benefits, often at a cheaper price, and without political interference,” Ferraro said.

The event created much conversation between the students and representatives from these pro-life organizations.

Liam Rose, a sophomore, approached one of the representatives and was able to share his opposing views.

“I didn’t really know about the FQHC piece of the [pro-life] argument, so I basically just asked them for the facts about these centers,” Rose said. “I believe in Planned Parenthood and people being able to access it. I think it’s a very important cause for both men and women.”

Even though Rose does not support these views, he said he is aware that it's important to provide students with facts from both sides of the argument.

Luke Powers, a freshman, was another bystander at the event. He agreed with Rose.

“I think it’s important for students to get a different perspective,” Powers said. “It seems like everyone is being respectful and appropriate about both sides, so I support them being here.”

Contact news editor Jocelyn Grzeszczak at jocelyn.grzeszczak@richmond.edu.