UberEATS food delivery service comes to Richmond

<p>Photo courtesy of UberEATS.&nbsp;</p>

Photo courtesy of UberEATS. 

UberEATS, the food delivery service created by the Uber platform, became available to Richmond residents last week on March 16. The meal-ordering and delivery app was founded in 2014 and has been implemented in major cities such as Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas. 

The service has partnered with local restaurants in Richmond and intends to bring a new form of on-demand delivery.

“It's a convenient, no-hassle experience, and Uber is excited to bring it to Richmond," Christopher Ager, Virginia UberEATS general manager, said in a press release. "We are committed to working with the city’s restaurant and bar scene to bring you the best Richmond has to offer at the touch of a button.” 

Restaurants that are available on the UberEATS app include, but are not limited to, Duck Donuts, The Black Sheep, Perly’s and Gelati Celesti.

“The concept is intriguing,” Ellie Palazzolo, WC '19, said. “UberEATS sounds like a farther reaching and more accessible option than a lot of delivery services that are currently available to students. Plus, they’re already promoting some of Richmond’s best restaurants.”

The service is extended internationally, with destinations located throughout Europe, Australia, Asia, South America and Africa. UberEATS has been expanding its reach for the past few years and will continue to make its services accessible to different parts of the world.

"I love UberEATS," Ashlee Korlach, WC '19, said. "It lays everything out for you. You can track it. You can see when they're coming and it comes exactly to the location where you are. I think it's very easy to use compared to other food apps and delivery services. It's just like ordering an uber."

Recently, food delivery applications and services have become more popular with the masses, encouraging residents to stay in their homes rather than go out to find restaurants.

“While I like the idea of an on-demand service, UberEATS shouldn’t diminish the importance of college students getting out and exploring the city,” Palazzolo said.

It can also be questioned whether this new app will meet the same standards as other services.

“I think it’s a cool concept, but there are already food ordering apps out there," Sela Betz, WC '20, said. "I like the general food delivery service, but I have to wonder what’s so different about UberEATS?”

In order to use UberEATS, simply download the app from the App Store, or go to the website ubereats.com. Once you enter your location, you have access to over a hundred of restaurants in Richmond and can search through them based on proximity and popularity. After ordering, you can even track your food to watch the preparation and delivery time.

UberEATS is now available to order from restaurants in Downtown, Church Hill, The Fan and Short Pump.

Contact lifestyle writer Sydney Collins at sydney.collins@richmond.edu.