7 things to do around Richmond on a nice day

<p>Photo by activerain.com.</p>

Photo by activerain.com.

Now that it is officially Spring and Virginia is warming, everyone wants to spend more time outside to enjoy the weather.

When you are not cooped up in the library studying, here are a few things you should check-out around Richmond to experience the city on a nice day.

Maymont Park

Maymont Park is an 100-acre estate located on the James River. At Maymont, you can walk around and explore the themed gardens, tour the mansion, go to the Nature Center or visit the wildlife exhibit. You can even pack a basket and have a picnic on the fields while you enjoy the flowers and the sun. There is no entrance fee for the grounds or gardens, and the park is open daily from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

Pony Pasture

The ultimate tanning spots are the flat rocks at Pony Pasture on the James River. I can guarantee that, in good weather, you will find plenty of University of Richmond students laying out by the river, listening to music and relaxing on the rocks. Make sure you get there early to snag the best spot!

Ice Cream at Boyer's

Boyer's is always a good idea, and in the heat it offers the perfect opportunity to sit outside with a refreshing ice cream. Boyer's has plenty of flavors for you to try, so you can go back every day and never get bored! If you are not in the mood for ice cream, go for breakfast and try one of their breakfast sandwiches on a bagel. 

Intramural Fields

If the river seems like a hike, or you just want to hang around campus, go to the intramural fields. When no teams are practicing, the fields are a great place to lay out and hang with friends. You can bring a ball and play games on the fields or the basketball courts. 

VMFA Robins Sculpture Garden

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is a great museum to visit any day, but the Robins Sculpture Garden is the perfect place to go when it's sunny outside. The garden offers over three acres of space to walk and explore the waterfalls and sculptures. The Sculpture Garden is the best of both worlds, where you can enjoy great art with your friends and capitalize on a sunny day. 

Canal Walk

One of Richmond's main attractions is the James River, and the Canal Walk is a great way to see the river and experience everything around it. The walk is slightly over one mile through downtown Richmond. On the walk, you will see Richmond's history presented through monuments and exhibits. When finished, be sure to check-out some of downtown Richmond's great restaurants and coffee shops.

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens

The Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens has 50 acres of gardens, as well as several art exhibits. There are also places at the garden to relax and eat. The Botanical Gardens are a great place to go and relax with a walk, see beautiful flowers or even take a gardening class. 

Contact lifestyle writer Julia Muro at julia.muro@richmond.edu.